Author Topic: Safezone on multiple monitors not displaying close buttons. A SOLUTION!  (Read 2575 times)

stukindaguy

For anybody plagued with safezone not displaying the close and minimize buttons with multiple monitors, I seem to have found the problem.

It occurs when the monitors are of different resolution and they AREN'T ALIGNED AT THE TOP EDGE.

1. Right click your desktop, and click "Screen Resolution"
2. Set your monitors so that the two enabled monitors have their top edges aligned.

This lets safezone work properly, showing the close buttons, although to be fair it SHOULD work regardless of alignment, but this is an acceptable solution until it's fixed.

Edit: This is on avast Internet Security 2014.9.0.2007 on Windows 8.1 x64, but I have a feeling this will solve it on all platforms affected.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:58:19 PM by stukindaguy »

Offline mtudor

Re: Safezone on multiple monitors not displaying close buttons. A SOLUTION!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
Just to add that I've today been bitten by this bug.  I was running Avast Safezone for the first time, and I was unlucky enough to be doing this on a dual monitor setup.  Sure enough, the minimise and close buttons were glaring in their absence.  I tried a few things to close Safezone, including running a command prompt with taskshow and taskkill, ctrl-shift-escape and ctrl-alt-delete to get at task manager.  Nothing worked and eventually I was hit with a blue screen.  "Oh well, that sorts that", I thought, and followed through with the reboot.  On boot I was presented with another blue screen, "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO".  Another reboot and the same blue screen again... and agan... and again.

For anyone who faces this, you'll probably be fine with a "Restore Last Known Good Configuration" or, if like me you're on Windows 8, an automatic repair which is presented to you after a failed boot.  Unfortunately, I have an encrypted system drive (Truecrypt).  So I first had to backup the contents of the drive by moving it to a different PC (for safety), and then decrypt the drive so I could run the Windows 8 recovery tools.

12 hours later and I'm back up and running.   :(

Pretty frustrated... and sufficed to say that I've completely lost confidence in the Avast Safezone.  I think the Avast team need to look at this bug as a matter of urgency!

pondscumdeepsouth

Re: Safezone on multiple monitors not displaying close buttons. A SOLUTION!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »
A SOLUTION!
 ;D Yaay!  ??? No wait it doesn't work for me.

avast! Internet Security 2014.9.0.2008 on Microsoft Windows 8.1 x64 Pro with Media Center

Pretty frustrated... and sufficed to say that I've completely lost confidence in the Avast Safezone.  I think the Avast team need to look at this bug as a matter of urgency!