Author Topic: Bought Avast! Internet Security, rebooted, now no keyboard.. HELP!  (Read 3967 times)

Leijonasisu

I bought Avast! Internet Security.
Installed it.
Rebooted to start the service.
Keyboard no longer detected. So I can't log into Windows 8.1
Tried another keyboard. Same problem.
Both keyboards work fine in BIOS.

After 20+ reboots and etc I managed to get in with the On-Screen keyboard from "Ease of Access Centre" at the log on screen. Previously it did not work and instead froze the computer when I clicked it. Sticky and Filter keys were off etc.

Device manager shows both keyboards as "! HID Keyboard Device" with the yellow exclamation mark. Unplugging either of them and uninstalling them and re-installing them just causes the keyboards to be yellow exclamation marks again. Even though the pop-up window successfully identifies the device. Trying to perform a driver update results in "You already have the latest drivers installed". I don't know why Avast! decided to mess with my bloody Plug-and-play keyboard drivers..

I also cannot reboot into Safe-mode because F8 method didn't work. Either due to the keyboard issues or because it was apparently removed from being an option via F8 anymore in Windows 8.

Please don't tell me "type this and then..." because KEYBOARDS AREN'T WORKING!!

So far I regret my purchase. I've used Avast! for years and currently I am regretting renewing my license. I blame the software because my PC worked fine before I installed it and I didn't change or install anything else.

Any ideas? Currently I'm logged into Windows and using the On-Screen keyboard. I miss old Silver Avast v3.

Someone please give me a hand on what I can do to get my keyboard working again.

Also got no System restore points either, and what's the point of restoring anyway if I can't use Avast? I paid for it after all.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:18:56 AM by Leijonasisu »

Leijonasisu

Re: Bought Avast! Internet Security, rebooted, now no keyboard.. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:52:00 AM »
Problem solved. It was insanely difficult but...

I used the offical uninstall tool to force a reboot into safemode.
The comptuer crashed several times with "Your PC has encounted a problem and needs to reboot :("
Did a small system resotre and fixed startup errors.
PC booted into Safemode and the keyboard worked.

Though because of the system restore the official and unoffical 1.3 removal tool were nowhere to be found.
Downloaded them both on my Galaxy S 4, though I couldn't transfer them to the computer in safemode (drivers hadn't been loaded)
So I forced USB mass-storage mode with a Root app, moved the removal tools to the ExternalSD and copied them to the computer.

Ran the offical removal tool. Rebooted when it was done.
Ran the unoffical removal tool to clean up the last of the bad install.
Disabled Windows defender from the control panel.
Installed the ONLINE INSTALLER (4mb) and chose custom settings, but allowed everything. Inserted license file etc.

Bam, it executed no problem without any issues. (Previously had the persistent 'You are unprotected!" error, in addition to no working keyboard) when using the OFFLINE installer.

Seems to be working now.

Dunno if disabling Windows Defender helped, or if it was using the 4MB Online Installer, or both.
Finally I get to use what I paid for.

Took 20+ reboots and a whole night of messing me around but whatever.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:58:47 AM »
Glad to read all is resolved.
Nice job sticking with it. ;)

Leijonasisu

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 04:03:52 AM »
I've used Avast since the good old 'silver' days and of course I'll stick with something that I bothered to actually pay for. AV protection is pretty much the only thing I am comfortable paying for, regardless when I got it worked out it wasn't so hard. I just had to stop skipping steps and do the whole removal process properly.

Thanks though. The newest version looks very slick.
I still wish I knew how to make a Desktop shortcut to 'SafeZone' though so I can add it to the Start Menu in Windows 8.1

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:04:09 AM »
.... or if it was using the 4MB Online Installer, ...

There have been cases that the online intaller works better. Don't know why though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:21:19 AM by iroc9555 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 04:13:04 AM »

I still wish I knew how to make a Desktop shortcut to 'SafeZone' though so I can add it to the Start Menu in Windows 8.1

That's odd as there has always been one dropped on my Desktop when either Installing the software or Doing a Repair.
Have you tried doing a Repair. An Avast Icon and SafeZone Icon should be dropped on desktop

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 04:23:08 AM »
I've used Avast since the good old 'silver' days and of course I'll stick with something that I bothered to actually pay for. AV protection is pretty much the only thing I am comfortable paying for, regardless when I got it worked out it wasn't so hard. I just had to stop skipping steps and do the whole removal process properly.

Emphasis added.

See attached below for exactly how to to that:  This is also for another user to know, also.

Really glad you got it fixed, tho.  True grit, that.

Program interface>Settings>Tools>SafeZone.  Tick the box to install the icon to the desktop.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 04:27:36 AM »
Of course. ::) ;)