Author Topic: Shields Activity Question - new version of avast!  (Read 3140 times)

Offline catinahat

Shields Activity Question - new version of avast!
« on: November 29, 2013, 03:52:39 AM »
I've just upgraded from avast! 8 free to avast! 2014.9.0.2008 via the GUI. All went smoothly, however I noticed when I worked my way through the new GUI that some components that were present in the previous version appear to be missing in the latest version. Specifically the "Behaviour Shield" and the "Script Shield" in the shields information and statistics pages - the only ones showing are "File System Shield", "Web Sheild" and "Mail Shield".

Can someone please confirm for me that avast! free is still scanning behaviour and scripts in this newest version? Is it doing it silently in the background or have these features been deleted in the free version? Thanks.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Shields Activity Question - new version of avast!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:59:39 AM »
Some of the Shields have been combined for efficiency and performance.
The changes and Security enhancements are very nice explained in the HELP Tab then 'Program Help' :)

Offline catinahat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:21:27 AM »
Ah thanks schmidthouse. Just checked that section out now. I forgot about the instant messaging and P2P shields - I see they too, have been built into the file system shields. Good to know. I don't to anything P2P stuff but it's good to know my skype chats will still be scanned.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »
Your are welcome. ;)

Offline catinahat

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 04:28:58 AM »
Hmm reading that section again I notice it doesn't mention what the old behaviour shield has been built into... Has behaviour scanning gone into this deepscreen thingy perhaps? Or has that been deleted? It mentions everything but that component.