Author Topic: [ ANDROID FEATURE REQUEST] Turn on device's wifi hotspot when lost  (Read 2653 times)

Couac

Hello,

When fiddling with Avast Anti-Theft's geo-location abilities I realized that most of the time it was only able to locate my phone thanks to the wifi network it was connected to (oddly, the data connection never seems to work). This is already very good but the downside is that most of the time, the 150m accuracy provided by a wifi geo-location is simply not enough to locate a lost/stolen phone in a dense urban environment, even if used alongside the siren feature.

What would really be convenient would be a wifi hotspot feature.
What if I could configure Avast Anti-Theft to give my phone's hotspot a predetermined and distinct name to be used only if my device got stolen or lost ? And what if I was then able to stealthily activate this very wifi hotspot on my device in case it got stolen or lost ? Using something as basic as this kind of interface would allow me to accurately pinpoint my device position using the wifi signal strength ! It would be absolutely amazing ! Most, if not all android devices are already wifi hotspot capable, and this is exactly the kind of feature which would allow Avast Anti-Theft to stand out from its competitors ! And I for one, would totally be willing to pay for such a nice feature.

I really hope you good people of Avast would consider such a cool feature.

Regards.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:36:56 AM by Couac »

ice.man

Re: [ ANDROID FEATURE REQUEST] Turn on device's wifi hotspot when lost
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
I think such a feature will have to be considered and implemented with extreme care
Enablig the hotspot functionality will result in STOPPING Internet connection through WiFI
Immediatelly I can see two main downsides of this:
  • the thief will realize there is no more internet connection and may react trying to hack connection settings or even turning off the device (maybe to reboot it?)
  • the device will lost connection to Avast Server ==> you won't be able to send further commands/get gps informations
This issue may be reduced with some precautions:
  • enable the feature with a limited timeout (few minutes)
  • use BT instead of wifi

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
Bluetooth is quite limited in range.
Couac's idea is actually nice.

@couac: have you tried this already? (manually turing on the hotspot and try to locate with a tool)
what tool did you use?

ice.man

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:21 AM »
Bluetooth is quite limited in range.

actually smartphone sports a class1 BT transmitter/receiver
this means in theory 100m, practically 30-40m

I would consider the risk of the theft realising something not ok with the internet connection and it's reactions