Author Topic: Avast and the dreaded Comcast...who is blocking whom?  (Read 3931 times)

ocseahag

Avast and the dreaded Comcast...who is blocking whom?
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
Have been using free version and just upgraded to paid one.  Works fine on my Windows 7 notebook using wireless connections everywhere.  Home desktop unit using XP Pro was fine until I installed upgrade.  Now cannot access Explorer, Firefox, etc.  Had to have second machine handy to look up fixes...tried a bunch of stuff, finally uninstalled avast, established web connection then reinstalled new version, which immediately identified a new connection (hard wired to router furnished by Comcast/Xfinity who now have all kinds of added security features that I had to work around on my wireless notebook to be able to send and receive email accounts besides Comcast). 

Avast found the Comcast connection, asked if ok, I checked off all the right stuff to say it is harmless and totally trustworthy, and all was fine...until I shut down.  When I restarted the next day...yup, no ability to access internet, same warning that firewall is blocking connection.  Not sure if it is the XP/avast interface or the dreaded Comcast complexity that is causing the problem.  Comcast's latest firewall has required me to do workarounds on my wireless Windows 7 machine, as I mentioned, while avast works fine on it.

Suggestions?  I am ready to ditch what I paid for and go back to avast free.

thekochs

Re: Avast and the dreaded Comcast...who is blocking whom?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:32 AM »
Just my opinion but Comcast, AT&T, Verizon are ISPs.....I would use none of their Security crud....it is not what they do well and even "Windows" for A/V with Defender is worthless because they don't focus on it.  My suggestion is use the ISP for a "data connection", have a good router with good hardware firewall that just uses the ISP modem as a Ethernet bridge to your router, use Avast Free and pay the $24 lifetime fee for Malwarebytes Pro.....does not conflict with Avast.  The only question is what firewall to use.....Windows ? Commodo ?, Avast?, etc.  That can be argued a 100 different ways.

To me the above is simple, use what each guy is best at and doesn't muck with your PC by having to add stuff to get to work.
Long term this borks things up on your PC to the point nothing works right.
Keep it simple.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:18:42 AM by thekochs »