Author Topic: Command timed out - but internet connection available  (Read 3789 times)

eewww

Command timed out - but internet connection available
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
Hello. I got premium license on samsung galaxy s3 that has access to interner via wifi. I trying to get data (calls) or any other command and keeping receive error "Command timed out". But on tab "security info" i got "Last Communication" frequently updated so there is internet connection fully available. Also i have activated continious locate command so on "locator map" tab i got frequently updated coordinates... How to fix the problem with  "Command timed out" on any command sent to a phone that has internet connection ?

eewww

Re: Command timed out - but internet connection available
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
One moment - if i got in settings - Force Data Connection ON:Yes , but device is not rooted and mobile data is turned off - can it be the source of this problem? But i repead - last communication and gps tracking shows that the wifi connection is available...

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »
Hello,
I suppose you already  executed "Fix connection problems" in Anti-Theft -> avast! Account
further diagnosis on my end is hardly possible without direct access to the device.

But - I have some hints for you:
- disconnect from the online account and reconnect from within Anti-Theft (Anti-Theft -> avast! Account)
- try to connect through different internet connections (other WiFi's for example)
- make sure you have the latest Version of avast! Mobile Security and Anti-Theft installed.
- if you can't manage to connect  to the online account it's not /that/ bad. In case of emergency - when the phone gets lost - I would recommend using SMS commands anyway. They are much more reliable and work even without internet access.

SMS commands and how to use them are explained in our manual:
http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf
give it a try - it's short and easy to understand.

I also experience some commands not going through on my private device. If I try a day or an hour later - it works. The problem isn't on your, or our side.
It's Google Cloud to Device Messaging - a service provided by google that we use to communicate with the installation.
Sometimes the command messages don't make it to the device and the command just times out. Or the command message arrives at the device, the command is executed - but the return message (confirming the reception) doesn't arrive at the server.
It's actually a google problem - we can hardly improve this.

regards,
Werner

ice.man

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
@ Werner
unfortunatelly SMS cannot send the audio recording command
and the command itself as to now has a great lasting limit...just 5 minutes:
you should implement an auto-repeating of the 5 minutes recording (I cannot remotely resend the command if I have a comunication issue, due to wifi firewalls or google service problems)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:39:01 PM by ice.man »

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
Hello,

I agree with you on that and created a suggestion on the list I give to the dev team from time to time:

my.avast.com commands time out quite fast. it would be nice if an option like "resend for 24 hours" would be available. Valuable for a) devices without SIM b) for commands that can't be sent by SMS (record audio, take pic)

I suppose this catches the idea.

Werner

ice.man

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »
Hello,

I agree with you on that and created a suggestion on the list I give to the dev team from time to time:

my.avast.com commands time out quite fast. it would be nice if an option like "resend for 24 hours" would be available. Valuable for a) devices without SIM b) for commands that can't be sent by SMS (record audio, take pic)

I suppose this catches the idea.

Werner

very good idea
I would sggest to add as soon as possible even a longer audio recording, maybe as a many times repeated 5-10mins recording

regards