Author Topic: Avast Add Ons Causing Issue with ie10?  (Read 3557 times)

DavoB

Avast Add Ons Causing Issue with ie10?
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:54 PM »
I hope someone can help. A few weeks ago, I started getting windows for some webpages content  saying that Explorer cannot display the webpage. This was not for the main webcontent, but usually something in a pane along the edge. I also noticed it effected any ads at the top of a Google search. These sites would not load at all.  I checked the Internet option settings regarding proxy servers and the like - none made an impact.  Not until I started disabling IE add ons did I find that the culprit were the 4 Avast online security add ons.  After disabling them, the problem went away -- no issues displaying webcontent.

Is this ok? Do these really only add the green check marks to my searches and such? Is the data flow still being scanned/protected?  Support was pushing AVAST 365.  Something must have changed in the last few weeks - IE10 update, windows update, or Avast engine?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast Add Ons Causing Issue with ie10?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
You can quite safely disable the "avast online security". The AOS has very little, if anything, to do with security.
The resident shields, web, file and mail, provide the real protection. I don't have the AOS/browser protection
installed. The AOS has proven itself to be a pita.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
The avast! online security add-on has plenty of issues.

I recommend you disable it until all of it problems are resolved.

It does not affect your protection since the Web Shield scans all HTTP traffic and does the malicious blocking.

WOT (Web of Trust) is a good alternative until all the bugs are [hopefully] ironed out of AOS.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Cast

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:49:51 AM »
Can you clarify on this?

Support was pushing AVAST 365.
Which support? Do you mean the third party phone support or was it something else as I have never heard of that here on this forum.

DavoB

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
I called the Avast telephone support number.  Spoke to a agent.  Never really addressed the issue of what the add ons do and is it ok to disable them.  He said  something changed on my computer to cause it to happen. He viewed MSINFO32 / Windows Error Reporting  and said I had too many executable errors and the conflicts were causing issues with my computer.   And too many files in the UserApp Data / local /temp directory that were not getting flushed like they should.  After a brief hold, I was told the engineers advised AVAST 365 for the low price of $179/year.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
I called the Avast telephone support number. [...]
After a brief hold, I was told the engineers advised AVAST 365 for the low price of $179/year.

Which number did you call..?? Never heard of "AVAST 365"..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DavoB

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
Regarding the question from Asyn on what number did I call:
I obtained the number from the Avast web site.  You can Google Avast 365, but it also seems known as "Total Support" on the Avast GUI on my desktop.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »
Regarding the question from Asyn on what number did I call: I obtained the number from the Avast web site.

Please report your experience to Adam Riley: riley[at]avast.com
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0