Author Topic: aswrvrt.sys boot problems--please help!  (Read 2931 times)

mjperk

aswrvrt.sys boot problems--please help!
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
I recently did a clean install onto an SSD of mine and was on about the 4th rounds of updates when it was booting and hung at the Win7 loading screen. I tried a few of the basic troubleshooting methods like disconnecting unnecessary drives, using a system restore via the OS install disc, booting to safe mode, etc. Nothing would work. It won't recognize or let me restore to an earlier point, and trying to run a chkdsk fails as well. Every time I would boot it would hang. Booting into safe mode gives me a hang as well--right at aswrvrt.sys where everyone else seems to have issues.

I tried following the steps from a previous post to get you the FRST file:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=120531.0

However, the RC .iso that is linked there is broken (the link that is) and I can't get the file. Essexboy seems to be able to tackle this problem and I'm hoping the same can be done for me. I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate the help! Also, I should mention that I'm running Win7 x64.

Thanks,
Max

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: aswrvrt.sys boot problems--please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
Hello Max,

I will get a remover for you and inform them you can't get FRST.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »

mjperk

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'm at work now, but will get this going later tonight. I'm wondering if anybody can provide a little bit of background on this issues. I have NEVER had problems with it before and have probably done dozens of installs. I haven't really changed my process or hardware, so what is the deal? Is this in incompatibility with Avast and Windows, or a one-time glitch? If I update Avast/Windows in the future, will I likely encounter this problem again? What is the issue specifically, and how do I avoid it?

Thanks,
Max

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
There are a myriad of reasons why this can occur, from a corrupted file to malware to hardware.  Very few have the same root cause. 

mjperk

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:05:03 AM »
There are a myriad of reasons why this can occur, from a corrupted file to malware to hardware.  Very few have the same root cause.

I have attached the FRST file.

I have 2 SSDs plugged in and only see 1 reading. Maybe I'm reading incorrectly--maybe this is because of safe mode. Should I be concerned that I only see 1? When I first got this problem I thought it was because I used to have these in RAID0. I used KillDisk to reset them to factory though, in hopes that it would solve any related problems.

Thanks!

mjperk

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:09:49 AM »
I should also add that I have tried disconnecting the 2nd SSD and it does not solve the problem.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
OK I think I can see the problem : The Avast drivers are running from the C drive and the programme files/services are on the A drive.  The A drive must be your second SSD as it is not being recorded on FRST

This will remove the main files and registry keys for Avast

Download the attached Fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

Then try a normal boot

mjperk

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »
Yes, you are correct that I use the C drive for the OS and, and the A drive for program files.

Will doing this cause problems down the road, or am I fine to continue on with this setup? I've done similar ones before and never had problems, but if this will be an issue in the future I can move them all to the C drive. Sorry, but I just want to clarify: "This will remove the main files and registry keys for Avast " Do you mean that your FRST fix will remove these files and keys, or the fact that I have them on separate SDDs?

Once I run the fix, will this require a reinstall of Avast or any other programs?

Thanks Again,
Max

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
Basically I am deleting the Avast registry keys and files so that it will not hang whilst looking for the A drive

Avast will need to be reinstalled as I have broken it beyond repair

All of the Avast files must be kept on the same drive, as you appear to be unable to see the second SSD windows cannot complete the loading of Avast hence the hang

mjperk

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
Very interesting. Will it harm anything to run a file cleaner before reinstalling Avast? I'm assuming there will be fragmented files and such and would like to remove them to do a clean install. Traditionally, I've used programs like Glary Utilities for this sort of thing.

So, what I'm hearing is that when I get around to the reinstall, be sure it is located in the program files directory on the C drive, not the ones I created on the A drive, right?

I wonder if this affects any other programs of mine...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
Generally any programme that uses its own driver/service will install that to the windows drive as the file needs to be in system32.  If the remainder of the programme is on a separate drive you could be asking for problems

Use Avastclear to remove any remnants

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.