Author Topic: Computer keeps getting Java-related malware even though I uninstalled Java  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Misuzu

Hello everyone! :)

For quite some time now, my family's computer has periodically got infected by Java malware (see attachments). I uninstalled Java about a year ago or so as a result, but every now and then, our computer STILL keeps getting infected by Java malware. In fact, I recently took a look at the Avast! virus chest and most of the malware in there are Java-related. Avast! has only detected this Java malware during boot-scans for some reason. Then again, I think I changed the settings on the quick/full-scan, so maybe that's why? Also, MBAM never seems to detect such malware.

So it's safe to assume that there's still Java files on my computer. Since I have Java uninstalled, would it be safe to delete the Java folder/files so I won't get infected by said malware anymore? Or wouldn't that solve my problem? What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance!
Have a nice day! :D

Best regards,
-Misuzu
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:12:34 AM by Misuzu »
|  Free Avast!   |  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Both up-to-date) |

SafeSurf

Did you use the Java Uninstaller tool made by Adobe to remove Java from your machine?  If not, please go to their web site and run the uninstaller tool to remove all traces of Java, then reboot your machine.  Delete the Java malware in the Virus Chest.  After this, update Avast and run Quick and Boot scans and see if you still get any Java malware detection.  Thank you.

Offline Misuzu

Sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for your help SafeSurf, but I can't find the Java Uninstaller that you mentioned. I tried googling it and searching for it on both Adobe and Java's websites, but it only brings up how to uninstall older versions of Java.

Would you mind posting the link to the Uninstaller here?

Thanks! :D
|  Free Avast!   |  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Both up-to-date) |

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes