Author Topic: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, BAD POOL CALLER caused by aswmonflt.sys  (Read 2104 times)

chrissnell

Hi, I am getting various errors and regular BSODs that the dump file was identifying as being caused by avast driver files aswmonflt.sys aswstm.sys. I have run malware bytes and CCleaner, reinstalled the latest version of Avast and upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1.

now at my wits end and considering moving to another antivirus. Any help appreciated

Avast 2014.9.0.2018
windows version: Windows 8.1 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, Hewlett-Packard, 1849
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AMD586, level: 21

Offline jvidal

Try checking your RAM using memtest86.
Do you have another AV installed?

chrissnell

Hi, no other AV. nothing came up on memtest

Thanks Chris

plsrepli

I cannot find that specific model on the HP website. I did find a g61a52nr and I don't understand what the 1849 means either. The reason I'm trying to get the big picture here is because many upgrade to win 8.1 only to find they don't have driver support from their vendor. So, could you answer the following questions please:

What is the exact (full) model number of your desktop/laptop?
What OS was installed when purchased?
(I see you upgraded to 8.1 via the store)
Have you installed all necessary 8.1 drivers (if available from HP)
Did you only start to get the BSODS after installing Avast (after upgrading to 8.1)?

In summary, I don't think this is an Avast issue at all. You might want to try uninstalling Avast and running with just Defender for a bit to see if that stabilizes your rig. However, if not, at least you will be certain that Avast is not the issue. Good luck.