Author Topic: Avast Detects mbam.exe as Virus BUT...  (Read 2943 times)

REDACTED

Avast Detects mbam.exe as Virus BUT...
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:13 AM »
Hi,
I just did the program update for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE and am trying to do a Threat Scan but Avast popped up telling me mbam.exe is Win64:Evo-gen[Susp] and it was preventing MBAM from completing scan, so i thought "Okay, false-positive, I'll just add some exclusions to Avast".
So I added C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\* as an exclusion to the Avast File System Shield and added *.mbamupdates.com* as an exclusion to the Avast Web Shield.
Okay, so I thought everything is fine now and started another MBAM Threat Scan BUT after a while Avast popped up another "Virus Found" message!
So I decided to take a closer look.

avast! VIRUS FOUND

Object: C:\WINDOWS\INSTAL~1\32b78.msi |>Data1.cab |>_72B2318DF95C8679AD2BD14DAF7C2E48
Infection: Win64:Evo-gen[Susp]
Process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

Its the same as before even though I added exclusions to the MBAM folder to the File System Shield!
So when Avast thinks mbam.exe is a virus, it makes the mbam scan stuck, so I had a look at what MBAM was currently scanning because its stuck:
C:\Windows\Installer\189b45db.msp
Hang on, I recognize that! Thats what it said LAST time Avast popped up but I didn't really think of it!
So I'm think when MBAM scans that file, (C:\Windows\Installer\189b45db.msp) it makes Avast go off and think its a virus, but why?
Is it really a virus? Or a false positive? because on the ACTIONS TO TAKE it does not let me ignore.
I uploaded mbam.exe and C:\Windows\Installer\189b45db.msp to VirusTotal and was not detected as a threat by anything.
I'm sorry if maybe I missed something...
Thanks.

Avast 2014 Free, Windows 7 64-bit, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 Free.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:42:07 AM by Wallaballee! »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Detects mbam.exe as Virus BUT...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:04:49 AM »
Try adding the Malwarebytes Program folder to the global exclusions list in Avast Settings/Antivirus then add the Avast program folder to the Malwarebytes malware exclusions.