Author Topic: Infected with multiple BProtect variants - help please!!  (Read 345 times)

Offline hzearz

Infected with multiple BProtect variants - help please!!
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Hi,

I am hoping somebody can help me to cleanse my daughter's laptop of the BProtect trojans and adware. So far, I have found the following variants whilst performing a boot scan with Avast Internet Security:

JS:BProtect-C [Trj]
XML:BProtect-B [Adw]
JS:BProtect-A [Trj]
Win32:BProtect-BRS [Adw]
Win32:BProtect-D [Trj]

Troubleshooting (note: I have followed the guide posted by essexboy in this forum):
1. Boot scan with Avast - will not allow any action on these files other than ignore, so I did not allow it to complete. This is how I identified the problem.

2. Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -
a. First scan found 220 infected files, I exported the log, and was about to attach it to this post however it seems that I may have overwritten it with a more recent scan :/, and selected 'Apply actions', and rebooted.
b. Subsequent scans with this tool produce 0 infected files - see attached log 'mbam.txt', however Avast boot scan still picks up BProtect.

3. Updated all programs with Avast - including Java.

4. Quick scan with Avast - Found a handful of JS:SaveByClick-A [Adw], and moved them to the Chest.

5. Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan tool - attached both FRST and Addition logs, but did not select 'fix' after the scan....because the guide in this forum did not mention whether to 'fix' or not after the scan.

6. Scan with aswMBR - attached log, but did not select 'FixMBR' or 'Fix' after the scan....because the guide in this forum did not mention whether to or not.

7. Created this post :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Simon

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Infected with multiple BProtect variants - help please!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Good job, now you've to wait a bit...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline hzearz

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
Thanks Asyn :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »
You're welcome. (Please be patient...)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
Let me know if this kills it :)

CAUTION :  This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

HKLM\...\Run: [] => [X]
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [mobilegeni daemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Mobogenie\DaemonProcess.exe
URLSearchHook: HKCU - (No Name) - {55d7c7bc-12a7-4f9b-81c0-600d9a182395} - No File
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 - {9bd172ba-3f40-4303-bca1-0484b5ba2a7b} URL = http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/GGmain.jhtml?p2=^YJ^yyyyyy^YY^au&ptb=31027D04-540F-4E4C-B229-1F02746EB2E5&psa=&ind=2013041102&st=sb&n=77fc91ce&searchfor={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKCU - {0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A} URL =
Toolbar: HKLM - No Name - {CC1A175A-E45B-41ED-A30C-C9B1D7A0C02F} -  No File
Toolbar: HKLM-x32 - No Name - {98889811-442D-49dd-99D7-DC866BE87DBC} -  No File
Toolbar: HKCU - No Name - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} -  No File
Toolbar: HKCU - No Name - {2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} -  No File
Toolbar: HKCU - No Name - {55D7C7BC-12A7-4F9B-81C0-600D9A182395} -  No File
AlternateDataStreams: C:\Users\Antonia\Downloads\License.avastlic:com.apple.metadata?kMDLabel_ok4gb6gmp5lg7lwjxaardoix2e
AlternateDataStreams: C:\Users\Antonia\Downloads\License.avastlic:com.apple.quarantine
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mobogenie
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe
Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

THEN

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Offline hzearz

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »
Thanks essexboy,

I have attached the output log from the frst tool after running the fixlist.txt file.

Am about to download and run AdwCleaner and will post log shortly.

Simon

Offline hzearz

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »
....attached AdwCleaner logs (AdwCleaner[S0].txt was the log that opened after reboot), am going to Avast boot scan now and will post outcome.

Offline hzearz

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »
Hey, that sorted it out good n' proper.

Ran the Avast boot scan and came back with only 1 infected file. The irony is that it was Quarantine.txt from the AdwCleaner application (downloaded from bleepingcomputer.com)

08/13/2014 16:28
Scan of all local drives

File C:\Users\Antonia\AppData\Roaming\.technic\bigdig\cache\nei-v1.5.2.21.zip|>coremods\NotEnoughItems 1.5.2.21.jar Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Users\Antonia\AppData\Roaming\.technic\modpacks\dlc-pack\cache\dlc-pack-Beta 1.7.6.zip|>coremods\CodeChickenCore 0.8.1.jar Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Users\Antonia\AppData\Roaming\.technic\tekkit\cache\matmos-v12.zip|>resources\newsound\matmos_hl\wind\wind_snippet4.ogg Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Users\Antonia\Downloads\ei_win_1.0.1_2492 (1).zip|>EpicInventor.exe Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Users\Antonia\Downloads\ei_win_1.0.1_2492.zip.qmqfszr.partial|>EpicInventor.exe Error 42125 {ZIP archive is corrupted.}
File C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\Quarantine.txt is infected by NSIS:NextLive-A [Adw], Moved to chest
Number of searched folders: 38147
Number of tested files: 2866006
Number of infected files: 1

Thank you so much for your help :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
Aye that is where adwcleaner stores the files it kills :)

How is the computer behaving now ?

Offline hzearz

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 05:46:42 AM »
Ah cool :)

Computer is well behaved now, daughter less so haha...now that computer is 'locked down'!!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
In that case methinks I will send you on your merry way :)

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave: