Author Topic: What is going on  (Read 3780 times)

thedon57

What is going on
« on: August 09, 2005, 01:45:17 AM »
Hi i am working on another forum and it looks like Nortons have been invaded with a worm or virus as 6 people have just come on the forum, all with the same problem, all running the same version of Norton's.

All of these have gone to the nortons website done what they have been told to do to remove it, now they can't access windows or it is freezing up on them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What is going on
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 03:29:19 AM »
Can you post the name of the virus and the files infected?
Can you tell us a link to that forum?
Hope this does not affect avast! too  :-\ ::)
The best things in life are free.

darth.mikey

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »
My neighbour also had problems just the other day after removing norton his computer was fuc...  up.I told him to clean up the registry and all the stuff it says in this forum unfortunately he is not a patient man so he reformated hdd and installed  Kaspersky(he doesn't wanna hear about avast  >:( )Seems to me Norton is loosing customers faster than the speed of light hehe  :)

thedon57

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 09:38:51 AM »
Hi don,t know name of file or what virus or worm it is just that all these people came on the forum at same time all with same fault, and all they were told was do a scan to remove it and quarantine it and when they did there computers where either slowing up or leaving them with bits missing they all came on the Software & Hardware Discussion Forum.

They are all using Nortons Antivirus 2005

Waiting  to hear from them back.
Avast I think is clear I have not caught anything.

Hi just up dating virus or worm out there because avast, and microsoft antispy just stopped one from hitting my computer so whatever it is comes in as a virus come  spyware.

So good old avast once again it beats them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 10:00:32 AM by thedon57 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 09:08:06 PM »
Hi thedon57,

Could it not be again a critical vulnerability in the ActiveX control in Norton Antivirus. Sometimes these old bugs play up again in another context, This vulnerability could allow the malcreant to execute arbitrary code on the victim's machine like launching pop-ups, causing Norton AV to stop working, just recently an unspecified flaw was found in the Auto-Protect module during scan of specific file types to make the system hang or crash, see http://secunia.com/advisories/14741/. Maybe it is this what we see here. If it is the worm it may be a new form of Bobax.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

thedon57

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 09:54:03 PM »
hi yes i am just glad that i am a number of people who have got a decent antivirus on their computer, oh by the way well i was helping them i made sure i knew about us.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 10:06:55 PM »
critical vulnerability in the ActiveX control in Norton Antivirus
So, avast! does not manage ActiveX components  8)
The best things in life are free.