Author Topic: Install or manual update to new version 2015?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline nana3

Install or manual update to new version 2015?
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:25:21 AM »
Have currently the free v 2014 and want to update to the new version 2015.  I want to do a custom install since I don't want some of the offered features!!!

Question:  What is the best option:

1.  Install the new 2015 version on top of my version 2014?

2.  Manual update within the current v2014 program?  If doing this will I be able to do a custom install?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:29:08 AM by nana3 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Install or manual update to new version 2015?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:54:29 AM »
Both should work and you can choose the custom installation.

Offline nana3

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:13:16 AM »
Thank you Eddy!  I will do then an update from within Avast 2014. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:17:40 AM »
If for what ever reason the update fails, you can always do a complete removal and perform a clean install  ;)

Offline nana3

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:29:56 AM »
Thanks again Eddy.  However you telling me that the update could fail while doing an update, doesn't make me feel very confident. 

In case of failure I would need the uninstall utility to be used in safe mode after uninstalling Avast! from programs and features?  After that reboot and install v 2015.  Would all the shields need to be disabled prior to uninstalling v 2014?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:44:04 AM by nana3 »

Offline nana3

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »
When doing a scan a few days ago, Avast! version 2014 produced  false positives being Macrium Reflect.  I never had a FP and didn't know what to do and clicked on a few buttons in panic.

Since the v 2015 came out I have been reading this forum about the changes and problems with the 2015 that don't seem to be addressed.

Avast! should focus on being an antivirus and doesn't need to be a bloated software with bells and whistles that only cause problems.  I always had to do a custom install in the last years.

I have been an Avast! user since version 4.8 and must inform you now that I have uninstalled Avast due to the above and of course installed another AV who's only objective is to be an antivirus and nothing else.  I know that you don't care about losing a customer but if you continue on the same path, you may lose quite a few customers.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »
That is why Eddy suggested a custom install. By doing a custom install
you can pick and choose what you want or don't want to install. You
don't have to install any of the "bells and whistles" unless you want to.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline nana3

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 12:27:03 AM »
When doing a scan a few days ago, Avast! version 2014 produced  false positives being Macrium Reflect.  I never had a FP and didn't know what to do and clicked on a few buttons in panic.

Since the v 2015 came out I have been reading this forum about the changes and problems with the 2015 that don't seem to be addressed.

Avast! should focus on being an antivirus and doesn't need to be a bloated software with bells and whistles that only cause problems.  I always had to do a custom install in the last years.

I have been an Avast! user since version 4.8 and must inform you now that I have uninstalled Avast due to the above and of course installed another AV who's only objective is to be an antivirus and nothing else.  I know that you don't care about losing a customer but if you continue on the same path, you may lose quite a few customers.

Para-Noid: See bolded.  I'm fed up with doing custom installs year after year to avoid bloat.  Additionally I saw that with the new 2015 problems that these are not resolved.  Op top of that the False Positives that Avast is famous for of which I got that horrid experience as per my previous post.  Again, I always check out the Avast forums when a new version comes out and used to wait to update to a new version until all problems were taken care of by Avast.  This doesn't seem to be happening nowadays.