Author Topic: Avast No Protection after Repair  (Read 2364 times)

Offline nalo89

Avast No Protection after Repair
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
I started a new topic earlier today and cannot find it anywhere so here it is again. During startup today I was given the choice of Start Normally or Repair. I chose Repair and then Restore. During the resulting startup the taskbar displayed a red crossed Avast icon warning of no protection which then changed to the normal icon displaying protection on ok. As a result I found an Avast shortcut icon on the Desktop and a new entry in the Restore Point List with the following " Avast! antivirus system restore point 27/01/2015 12.02.50 pm  Settings Modified." It has happened before but not every time. Is there something amiss?. Thanks

Offline nalo89

Re: Avast No Protection after Repair
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »
Thanks Eddy. My first post did not show up in the list. I did not press alt+s then but clicked on the post button. Must have been a glitch.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »
Let's see if I understand it correctly.
You can boot your system in a normal way, but avast isn't working?
If so, perform a repair of avast and see if that solves the problem.
If it doesn't perform a clean installation of avast.
If you have to do a clean installation, don't forget to use the uninstall tool after removing avast from control panel.

Offline nalo89

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
Hello Eddy, No, it is only when I do a Repair that sometimes Avast stops offering protection during the bootup but then changes to "You are protected". The result of this changing is that I find a new Avast run exe shortcut on the Desktop and a new restore point is automatically made saying "Avast! antivirus system restore point  (date+time) Settings Modified". In normal startup Avast works as normal.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
Well, Windows repair isn't exactly taking installed applications into consideration.
Besides that avast has a selfdefence.
I would say perform a clean installation of avast.

If you already have to repair Windows multiple times, it is time to check hardware.
If there is no faulting hardware it is time for a fresh installation of Windows.