Author Topic: torrent  (Read 4608 times)

REDACTED

torrent
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
Hello im thinking of getting this but how does it work with torrents? my ip protected? or still risky? and how does it work with utorrent?

Kindly regards

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: torrent
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
avast has no problems with torrent applications/downloads.
It will monitor and scan them.

But very often torrents are illegal and contain malware.

Keep in mind that the torrent protocol was designed to make downloads faster,
by downloading 1 file from several sources at the same time.
In theory it sounds nice, but it basically never worked as "advertised".
In fact is almost always slower than downloading from the publisher's server.
Bandwidth has increased a lot in a short time.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
As far as I know downloading stuffs from torrents is risky these days. In some countries (maybe all of them) the ISP starts to monitor their customer torrents downloads. 1st download=friendly warning, 2nd=notice letter, 3rd and final warning=ISP will cut out their connection from you.

Download torrents at your own risk and make sure you scan them with Avast, MBAM, SAS Pro, or other antispyware program you may have. I download stuffs from warez bb which is okay
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
Read about the dangers of torrents: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/dangers-torrents-70661.html
link article author John Machay. When using the BitTorrent protocol using blocklists does nothing! If you are a part of the swarm of ip's yours can be logged, neither this nor any other IP block software can protect you from that.
See: https://zeltser.com/malicious-ip-blocklists/  (some free, some licence paid)
Know what is interesting and threatening: http://dns-bh.sagadc.org/removed-domains-20150404.txt

polonus
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:49:12 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »
thanks for the info and tips=) kindly regards

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
You are welcome,   :)

polonus

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
Summary short. Torrenting is bad, and Illegal. Will Avast! Stop it? No. Do we recommend it? NO!

As far as I know downloading stuffs from torrents is risky these days. In some countries (maybe all of them) the ISP starts to monitor their customer torrents downloads. 1st download=friendly warning, 2nd=notice letter, 3rd and final warning=ISP will cut out their connection from you.

And, not ours here. They don't notice, else my Sister & Dad would be cut off lol.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
Hi Michael,

Good your Sister and Dad do not live in France, there it is three strikes and out.
But whenever you are on a hoster that does not mind  ;D .....

polonus

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »
Summary short. Torrenting is bad, and Illegal. Will Avast! Stop it? No. Do we recommend it? NO!

And, not ours here. They don't notice, else my Sister & Dad would be cut off lol.

Hi Michael. Lucky for France. Lucky for you and your family  ;). It's already in affect in Australia. I am in just across the ditch aka New Zealand. Some ISP in New Zealand do take these steps but I don't know which ones. Definitely not my ISP, but I am not taking any chances. I used to download torrent stuffs many years ago. When this strict rules came in I started to download movies and musics from warez.bb. This website they upload legit stuffs and we can download them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:56:32 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2