Author Topic: HELP! Avast just nearly killed my PC!  (Read 1891 times)

REDACTED

HELP! Avast just nearly killed my PC!
« on: May 01, 2015, 01:16:18 AM »
I was using my PC and everything was and Avast started detecting all running processes as Win32:Evo-gen[Susp] every singe one, even explorer.exe which it fortunately was not able to remove.

This put my computer into a nearly unusable state, fortunately I was able to restore files from the virus chest and restart back to a working PC.

None of the files in the virus chest are registered as any viruses, but Avast crippled everything as none of my start-ups or basic shortcuts from these commands work meaning that Avast broke these programs when removing, meaning I have to re-install/repair the said programs.

I am sure I did not have any issues and it is simply that Avast went crazy and started destroying my machine, something like when McAfee crippled machines by removing svchost.exe years ago.

Fortunately this is the only time I have seen this problem, but this of extreme severity and I would rather not have any AV than have it kill my machine.

Anybody else have this problem and how to stop. This cannot happen again.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: HELP! Avast just nearly killed my PC!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 01:52:18 AM »
Do a full system scan of avast and post logs here. Also you might have other infections or some other issues. Follow the instructions from here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 and post logs. A malware expert will assist you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:54:13 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: HELP! Avast just nearly killed my PC!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
Win32:Evo-gen[Susp] generally is an heuristic detection not based (directly) on a true virus definition.  Heuristics:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic_analysis

If you can, upload files to virus total dot com and post the url links here.

Advice would be to go into Settings>File System Shield>Actions and change all three categories to Quarantine so it is not possible to delete a file forever.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:34:26 PM by mchain »
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814