Author Topic: Thunderbird email and Avast  (Read 3791 times)

markosjal

Thunderbird email and Avast
« on: October 27, 2005, 05:18:52 PM »
IU switched my antivirus to avast the other day from AVG. Unfortunately, I can no longer send mail. Well sometiomes it sends with no problems and other times no.  This problem stated since Avast was installed. I have tried completely diabbling Avast, and still can not send mail.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Thunderbird email and Avast
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:53:30 PM »
Any clues?

What is your OS?
What is your firewall?
Does it allow access for ashMaiSv.exe?

What errors are you getting?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

markosjal

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 06:27:03 PM »
OS is windows ME, no software firewall. as for ashMaiSv.exe , I do not know what you are asking here, probably whether the software firewall (which I do not have) allows access from this program?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 06:35:43 PM »
OK with winME you will need to manually setup your accounts to be scanned by avast.
ashMaiSv.exe (is the email scanner) would not be applicable if you don't have a software firewall, I assume you have a hardware firewall? If not you are leaving yourself wide open to infection, etc. Even with a hardware firewall, some also provide outbound protection, if yours doesn't then I suggest you consider one.

Did you run the avast! Mail Protection Wizard?

The server address for both POP and SMTP should be set to 127.0.0.1
The POP server name set to: username#pop.isp.com (use the actual username and ISP info)
and... SMTP server name to: username#smtp.isp.com

You can go into the Help file within the Avast Scanner and look up Manual configuration.  It will take you through it step by step.  It is not hard to do.

Check the avast help file for Setting up mail Protection. Switch of your email client and run the Mail Protection Wizard - Or you can set it up manually.
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 - look for, ashPopWz.exe - double click this and it will run the Wizard

Or see this thread for further information and advice User's FAQ - Mail Protection.

If this not help, you, try the help file Manual setting of mail protection. Launch your mail program and let the program display the account settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

markosjal

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 06:43:24 PM »
How can I set the POP server to one addrerss when 1 address  check 4?

I think it is lame and perhaps it is better to uninstall it

markosjal

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 06:46:44 PM »
The only email setting I see say that it is for when Avast wants to send email, and not for email anti virus. Somewhere I already changed a setting that said that I use programns other than Microsoft to check / send mail. That did not help

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 08:34:42 PM »
How can I set the POP server to one addrerss when 1 address check 4?

I think it is lame and perhaps it is better to uninstall it
1. in order to scan your email before it gets into your inbox avast uses a local proxy that is what you are setting up, with NT based OSes (NT, w2k, XP) this is a transparent process, this unfortunately isn't available with other OSes.
You need to set-up each account in turn. However, if you are talking about the default SMTP setting in avast, this is just that a default SMTP account used for sending email to avast if required.

2. It's not lame, you are at less risk scanning email and dealing with any infected email before it gets into your inbox as deletion from there could result in the loss of your inbox file, as mentioned in the Thunderbird FAQs. The settings need to be set-up in Tbird's account settings, not avast.

The only email setting I see say that it is for when Avast wants to send email, and not for email anti virus. Somewhere I already changed a setting that said that I use programns other than Microsoft to check / send mail. That did not help
As I said the set-up happens within Thunderbird to have it use the localhost proxy.

However, it is entirely your choice to uninstall or not but I feel you would be better served by following the instruction in the various references and links I gave you.

avast! - help: Setting up the Mail Protection, manual setting of mail protection and the link above, both of which indicate that the email client account server details that needs setting up

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 03:25:01 AM »
How can I set the POP server to one addrerss when 1 address  check 4?
I cannot follow you... can you rephrase?
Did you try running Mail Protection Wizard?
If you have Windows 98\Me, the change of the login settings is normal while using avast.
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

With ME you should have:

pop3 server= smtp server = 127.0.0.1
username = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
smtp authentication enabled and the username there = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
The best things in life are free.