Author Topic: is this a virus/malware? it is undetected by scans, acts strangely. syswow64.vbs  (Read 1778 times)

REDACTED

there are no strange connections attempted or any obviously suspicious behavior, but during maintenance I noticed in MSConfig that there is a file set to load on startup that mimics a system file name -- C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Roaming\sysWOW64.vbs

upon further investigation, I found that other users who had been infected with some syswow64 virus in the past had a file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vbscript.dll -- I ALSO have this file in my system folder.

now A LONG WHILE AGO I was in fact infected with a syswow64 virus of some kind -- and I happened to clear my system of it at that time. Scans with all manners of virus tools -- ranging from spybot, Malwarebytes PRO, Avast free, ad-aware, and a few others all come up with nothing at the current time.

the thing that scares me is that this startup item JUST RECENTLY APPEARED -- it must have been within the past week, as I am constantly tweaking and updating things, and I wouldve noticed it.

scans still come up empty, but I believe either a remnant of the past virus has survived, or I have somehow possibly become infected with a new virus today or in the past week sometime.

no suspicious connections or processes are evident, at least to me, so it COULD be benign, but I dont really want to take any chances here.

does anyway have any knowledge of this?