Author Topic: Out of date  (Read 1565 times)

REDACTED

Out of date
« on: July 13, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
My laptop has been offline for several months due to loss of wifi. I will be going to the library so that I can update my Avast but I want to be safe when I go online. Any suggestions, cautions or instructions on how to protect my computer during those few crucial minutes?

My husband wasn't careful enough and wound up, not only being unable to install Avast, but is now being held hostage by Ransomware on his laptop.

DON'T wanna be there!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Out of date
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »
Once you are connected to the net Avast will automatically update the virus definitions, if you've been disconnected for several months you'll probably also receive a prompt to update the program as well to the latest stable version.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
A other option is to download the full installer of the latest version on e.g. a usb stick and install it before going online.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
If there are infections you may need to run something like Malwarebytes to remove them first. Often  infections will stop any Antivirus from installing.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
If there are infections you may need to run something like Malwarebytes to remove them first. Often  infections will stop any Antivirus from installing.
The OP already has an AV, it just requires updated def's.