Author Topic: Splash task error  (Read 1926 times)

barazinho

Splash task error
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:05:26 AM »
I am getting the following series of messages when starting the avast home 4.6:
Unknown error
storage cannot be created for the "splash" task

Unknown error
Configuration is not loaded properly. Error: dbsCreateObject

Unknown error
Program cannot save parameters to the storage! (error:dbsCreate Object)

I found the post on this forum about the avast external control program that allows you to change the database storage method, but that feature was removed from the program because it is now in the avast options.

The problem is this, I can't open the avast options, nothing happens. I'm presuming that they don't open because of the error messages. Is there a registry key or ini file that I can alter, or another way to get around this problem.

thanks,
Barry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Splash task error
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:40:50 AM »
I found the post on this forum about the avast external control program that allows you to change the database storage method, but that feature was removed from the program because it is now in the avast options.

The problem is this, I can't open the avast options, nothing happens. I'm presuming that they don't open because of the error messages. Is there a registry key or ini file that I can alter, or another way to get around this problem.
1. correct.

2. also probably right. How are you trying to get to the avast options (right click the avast icon, Program Settings, Troubleshooting)?

First check out this avast! FAQ answer http://www.avast.com/eng/other_questions.html#idt_1406. For avast! Pro users it is best to update the ODBC Drivers, Home users can switch to XML storage.
Right click the avast! icon and select Program Settings, then Troubleshooting and tick the Use XML storage instead of ODBC.
You can manually edit the avast4.ini file (using a text editor) and change database=odbc to database=xml, this is in the [Common] section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security