Author Topic: Avast conflict with The Master Genealogist?  (Read 2136 times)

duff

Avast conflict with The Master Genealogist?
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:39:33 AM »
When TMG is engaged in the process of validating, ashServ.exe (the Standard Shield, apparently) goes nuts on the CPU usage, as shown in Windows Task Manager.  This freezes TMG in process, or at least slows it to the point of molasses.  One by one I paused the 'providers', until finally pausing the standard shield freed up the CPU, and TMG practically flew through its remaining file validation. 

Can anyone offer some insight into why these two programs might be problematic in concert?  I'm not that comfortable with dropping shields to do TMG work since I'm on a wireless DSL modem that's always connected.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast conflict with The Master Genealogist?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 07:41:43 AM »
What sensitivity level have you got set for the standard shield?

Is TMG scanning a large number of files?  Are these files themselves very large? 

Just to be sure are these files on a local hard drive of your machine (and not files being downloaded across the network)? 

While I am not familiar with TMG, I use Family Tree Maker (probably a not entirely dissimilar product) and have not noticed any degradation while using it.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 07:59:07 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast conflict with The Master Genealogist?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 03:55:40 PM »
I'm not that comfortable with dropping shields to do TMG work since I'm on a wireless DSL modem that's always connected.
How TMG validates its files? Through Internet? Can you just add the connected website for it into the WebShield exclusion list?
The best things in life are free.