Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 1747 times)

REDACTED

Newbie Question
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
Hi. I'm a complete newbie to this forum  :)so please bear with me if this is posted in an incorrect area to ask.

I keep getting the orange "some files cannot be scanned" message when I run the full virus scan lately and when I look to see what the files are they are mostly "windows.-BT/Sources/SafeOS/Safe.Mount/Windows/WinSxS/Manifests" related or with this in most of the lines.  :-\

Can anyone please help me understand what these are? The files appear to be something to do with the OS itself or attached to it with the dollar signs in the URLs or lines. I could not get the option to isolate the lines or send them to the chest or anything else, so I am not sure what to make of these error messages or if I need to alter my settings.

Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
Files that can not be scanned does not mean they are infected, it is just a scan error message and avast tell you why
There can be many reasons why they cant be scanned, it is normal and happen to all security programs, but all programs does not show it in the log
avast realtime protection will check those files when whatever use those files unpack/access/read/save/use them ... avast realtime constant monitor evrything in your computer when on

This is the most frequently asked question in the forum so lots of info if you search

How do I handle files that avast! can’t scan?  https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/28/how-do-i-handle-files-that-avast-cant-scan/

they seem to be windows update files   ;)

How to Reduce the Size of Your WinSXS Folder on Windows 7 or 8  http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:04:46 AM by Pondus »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
They'll be the Windows 10 upgrade files.