Author Topic: aswRvrt.sys BSOD after Avast IS update  (Read 2283 times)

REDACTED

aswRvrt.sys BSOD after Avast IS update
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:17:52 PM »
Hi,

I started a topic regarding IS but was requested to ask for help on Malware, hence also this topic.

I have a Win7 64 bit intel chipset system. After updating IS from 10.3.2223 to 10.3.2225 my system start with BSOD for normal and safe mode. I need to revert to the pre-update restore point using F8 boot repair tool.
My system seem to crash at aswRvrt.sys. I get an 0x000000F4 error.

I have run FRST64.exe from the F8 boot repair tool command prompt during the BSOD issue. No Addition option available at that time.
I have also run FRST64.exe before the update with Addition. Also the Anti-Malware software. The aswMBR.exe crashed so no log from that.

I've seen this issue before and at that time there was an additional driver for my BD writer (used by some CD writer handling software I've installed) that caused the IS update to give me BSOD. After removing that driver I was able to update IS. But this time it doesn't seem to be the same problem.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: aswRvrt.sys BSOD after Avast IS update
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
Did you make this this batch file ?   make_y.bat

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »
Yes, I made <make_y.bat>. It only contains as follows:
subst y: c:\CADINT_Y

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
Could you try the latest beta https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=176033.0  as I can see no apparent conflict

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
I tried installing the beta. I now reply using my tablet as I can't start my system anymore. I've tried many things including various system restore points, hiding asw* sys/exe files by renaming them, safe mode and removing my graphic card using chipset instead. The system now halts after loading sys files. How to completely remove (beta) IS from Windows F8 repair tool command prompt? I should have done a system image before starting to get IS going, but I didn't.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
Ooooh, I got my system up again. I did wait a long time before also, but maybe the renaming of aswboot.exe and then wait very long time when sys files were loaded did the trick. I will now try to uninstall Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
Initially after the system went up again I had some problems with access and keyboard lockout. When I got that to work I uninstalled Avast IS. Then I made a system image and tried to install Avast IS again (10.3.2225 directly). That didn't go ok as the system started to throw exception messages and software crash notifications on the screen even before the installation finished. After reboot I got BSOD again, but now I could revert by using my system image.
I've seen serious system problems caused by some rootkit before (when Avast IS didn't detect that) and this just felt different. Avast IS just don't like my system, so I have to give up. I'm now with another IS and no problem so far. I can't continue the hassle with trying to find out the problem with Avast IS. Thank you anyway.