Author Topic: Client with multiple IP's ( LAN & WIFI )  (Read 2277 times)

Offline hillen

Client with multiple IP's ( LAN & WIFI )
« on: October 19, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »
I have installed the latest version of Avast for Business on a laptop and the device was registered / activated while connected to the LAN adapter ( xxx.xx.xxx.78 ). When the user switches over to using the WIFI adapter ( xxx.xx.xxx.79) while away from their desk and it appears the Avast for Business "Cloud" server can no longer communicate / recognize the device while on the WIFI adapter.

I have manually updated the client while on WIFI and the "cloud" does not reflect the changes ( I waited 30 minutes ) and still no update. Also while connected to the WIFI interface for over 7 days the "cloud" still says the machine is safe even though it has not talked to it in over 7 days. How in the world could the machine be safe if you lost contact with it? Shouldn't it state it is offline or something when it can no longer communicate?

My main concern is the use of multiple IP's and the device is no longer able to connect / communicate with cloud even though it has access to it. I see this as a big OOPS! How in the world would a laptop be secure moving from network to network and no longer being able to communicate with the "cloud" because the Internal IP is different than when activated. I have now tried this on three laptops and all exhibit the same behavior.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:54:37 PM by hillen »

Offline hillen

Re: Client with multiple IP's ( LAN & WIFI )
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Digging further...

If I move the laptop back to the adapter/IP used to activate the client, manually restarted Avast Business Console Client and I can send task to the client, "cloud" server will allow it to communicate with it again, receive any changes I made to the policy, etc.

The moment I move to a different adapter/IP than used to activate, manually restarted Avast Business Console Client and I loose all "cloud" server communication and thus the client is no longer being monitored / updated / can't send task to the client, etc.

Client at this point is technically DOA, but yet the "cloud" server still indicates it's "SAFE".

Okay, the million dollar question is -- how do I protect this machine when it roams from network to network?

Second, how do I inform the "cloud" server the IP has been changed on a workstation without having to completely un-install and restart the client, because that is the only way I have been able to affectively inform the "cloud" server the IP has changed.

REDACTED

Re: Client with multiple IP's ( LAN & WIFI )
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »
HI,

The network it's connected to shouldn't matter as long as you are not using a proxy on the original network and set that info when you downloaded the install file or the new network is using a proxy that wasn't configured. The main thing to look for is the bcc.exe and make sure it's running, this is what does the communication.
Any firewalls or content filter that differs from the 2 networks? It sounds as if something is blocking the communication on the second network.

Thanks!

Jeff