Author Topic: Multiple Defense  (Read 3220 times)

dzikrul_maut

Multiple Defense
« on: December 02, 2005, 01:22:39 PM »
How are yew all??

I've been thinking to use multiple kinds of antivirus in multiple time (I won't use two at one time) can anybody suggest me TOP 3 of the best antivirus you have tried for yourself... I'm doing this for my campus, so... can anybody help
Oh yeah and are there any other software for a more effective defense against malware (besides adaware, Spybot, Ewido)...???

Thanks for All

;D God Bless Us All  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Multiple Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
Hallo dzikrul_maut,

If you have a suspicious file upload it to Jotti or Virus Total and you have checked through various AV products, make a bookmark of Dr. Web on line, you can feed it with any URL you like to pre-scan. If you have FF you can download a little add-on the Dr. Web hyperlink pre-scanning plug-in and you can scan in advance all the clickable hyperlink before you go there. The definitions are checked at the big update servers in St. Petersburg in Russia and their definitions are updated every couple of HOURS.
To check your computer have only ONE resident (always scanning} AV product. We here have chosen for AVAST. Never allow two resident scanners like Avast and NAV for instance. Like two dogs they start to fight each other instead of protecting the home. Non resident scanners you can have various. I use ClamWin (installed good open software non-resident scanner with daily updates (manual update). On line scan: I like a good Romanian product like Bitdefender 8. Do not use Panda (has a vulnerability). For the newest definitions I regularly download and scan with Stinger.exe (free), DrWebCureIt (but use this normally set, because too high heuristic settings can produce false alarms, like toolbarcop.exe is a VSB script virus, this is a false positive). I use SpyAudit to see if the computer is free of malware, spyware, holes, this is only a scanner and does not heal).
Some sites have all sort of tools for special cleaning operations.
Always use a good, reliable product. Be aware there are rogue programs around, check this, because then the remedy is worse than what is to be cured.

Success,

polonus
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 01:53:28 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

dzikrul_maut

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »
Non resident scanners you can have various.

Hey Mr. polonus are u online now?
if i'm using the resident scanner now, can i use the non resident scanner without stopping the resident scanner?

oh yeah, if i'm in charge of beingthe administrator for a server computer, what do I have to do to defend myself against all those malware in the Net...?

Thanks for All

;D God Bles Us All  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:59:30 PM »
if i'm using the resident scanner now, can i use the non resident scanner without stopping the resident scanner?
If you're talking about on-access (resident) and on-demand (non-resident) scanners, BOTH of avast, no trouble, you can run them.
Otherwise, ask here for more info.

oh yeah, if i'm in charge of beingthe administrator for a server computer, what do I have to do to defend myself against all those malware in the Net...?
Buy avast for the server  8)  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:07:57 PM »
Hello dzikrul_maut,

If you are the admin  ;D you should keep your system updated and patched,
you would install a good free OS  firewall like Smoothwall or IPCop on an old computer in between the net and your network, shadowed and configured with sub IP numbers, the best software program is Swiss for that purpose. You kept an eye on all your logs. You gave your students a monitor and a keyboard only and a hub to link to the server (no diskettes, no CD, no other services allowed), only gave them the programs they need, trained  them to use right passwords, and changed these every 15 days. If you log in into your system, you would log in with the wrong password the first time, so hackers have it wrong the first time around. Learn to work the event viewer, and learn commands like netstat, arp and other command lines, and hire polonus as a beta tester, that is what I should do. Oh and use the best AV there is...AVAST. And then your students will shine your shoes every day with fresh pisang leaves, because they like security admins. ;D

Kindest regards,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!