Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook General Questions  (Read 2722 times)

ManyQs

Microsoft Outlook General Questions
« on: December 10, 2005, 03:54:24 AM »
I try very hard not to be lazy. I used the forum search engine, I used the "Help" in Microsoft Outlook, and I've been looking through this O'Reilly "Windows XP IN A NUTSHELL.

First of all O'Reilly in this book doesn't touch Microsoft Outlook, just Outlook Express. I guess they figure if you're using XP you've graduated to Express, or they covered Microsoft Outlook in another book I should have bought.

Microsoft Outlook "Help" reminds me of a Japanese telephone book -- bloody useless. Okay, maybe not quite that bad.

Using the forum's search engine I found a whole bunch of stuff under Outlook, but it went on and on and nothing in the way of really basic stuff, like I am going to ask. At least I didn't get to it. If it's there, I'm sorry. Just point me.

My questions are:

1. Where can I find exactly how much space my entire Microsoft Outlook file/mailbox/whatever one calls it is taking up on my hard drive? Simple, no? I'm talking about the whole package, except the Archive File. All the folders, including deleted folder, the whole mess. Where exactly is that info located -- the total MBs?

2. And question no. 2, speaking of the Backup Archive File, how can I read a .pst file? I mean I click on that Backup Archive File file and I get a Word Document. Before I actually clic on that Backup Archive File I can hover over it and it says 12 something MBs of stuff is in the file, but where the bloody H is that file when I do the normal clickity-click. All I see is an empty Word page and then a window asking what code bla-bla-bla and I see the "Windows default" something-something has a little dot in it and I clickity-click okay and I see about 6 or 7 strange little characters on an otherwise very empty word page. What gives? I mean, when I click on my "I Love ManyQs" fan mail file it all comes out nicely in a very readable text, or page, or whatever. Why can't I get that with my Microsoft Outlook?

And I guess I should emphasize again, maybe, that I am not using Outlook Express. Although I see I could, I'm staying away from it for now.

So if anyone can point me to where I could find some easy to understand reading material about the secrets of Microsoft Outlook I would be in your debt for eternity. Well, the two secrets as asked about above.

Thank you.

ManyQs

Re: Microsoft Outlook General Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 09:22:42 PM »
My apologies, but no worries now about question 1. I finally had time to dig up the anwer. I could, though, still use some help understanding .pst files, if anyone could unlock some of the mystery.

Thank you.

neal62

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 09:48:48 PM »
You can go here HERE to read about .pst files. Also if you go HERE there is some additional information you will probably need.  :)

ManyQs

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 05:52:13 AM »
Thank you, neal63. Looks like just what I needed.

And Merry Christmas to you, too.

neal62

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 05:58:48 AM »
Your more than welcome. Glad I could help out. If you ever want to help anyone here in the forum with a problem don't hesitate to do so. All additional help offered here by members to others is greatly appreciated.  :)