Author Topic: Install Error "App failed to start because its side-by-side config is incorrect"  (Read 7136 times)

REDACTED

Had Windows 7, upgraded to 10, then restored to 7 after 10 was too much trouble. Now I cannot install Avast Internet Security (which I previously had for past 3 years installed on Windows 7 with no issues). I get this error message:

c:\program files\avast software\avast\avastui.exe

This application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail.

I tried using the Avast de-install tool and reinstalled. I have the Visual C++ versions through 2013 installed. What's interesting is if I go into Safe Mode I can open the avastui.exe but cannot in regular boot up. I always get the message above.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
As you have reverted I would suggest a clean install

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstall tool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

REDACTED

As I continue to have this issue and nothing has worked (have tried many suggested solutions found on the web), I had to install another product and will be ending my relationship with Avast after using Avast Internet Security for the past 4 years and before that Avast Anti-Virus for 2 years. Panda Antivirus worked for me where Avast did not. Rated an Editors Choice with PC Mag. If no one else has any recommendations, I'll stick with that.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Did you do as essexboy said ?

REDACTED

Look, after much stuffing around, reading, following instructions and advice from many different sites on this issue it was not resolved on my 64 bit win 10 pro. It was finally sorted by running an inplace install via USB drive after uninstalling Avast free antivirus with the avastclear.exe file which takes you to safe made for the uninstall. While there I ran Ccleaner for the registry until there were no issues, then ran wise registry cleaner  and removed all problems it found. I might add these were run in their default mode with no custom instructions. Then reboot back to normal mode and instead of downloading from avast which sends you to cnet which gives you some sort of compressed .exe file (4.8 mb) I went to filehippo.com and downloaded latest .exe file (193mb). Double clicked, let him go and hey presto, voila, successful install "You are now protected". The whole process probably took 40 minutes compared to hours of trial and failure step by step repair advice. Good Luck!! 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
You can download directly from avast if you want next time :
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=182468.0

Ofcourse before doing so check if the version in that link is the latest.