Author Topic: Avast.svc killing disk usage 100%  (Read 7109 times)

REDACTED

Avast.svc killing disk usage 100%
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:37:23 AM »
Hi I've read some similar threads on the Internet but they are far too technical for me. My laptop is dying due to disk usage. It appears to be avast/some local services.

I have a paid subscription for avast and wondered if someone could help me sort this out in terms of either removing avast or taking it back to basics so it doesn't hammer the disk.

Thanks

REDACTED

Re: Avast.svc killing disk usage 100%
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
here is my CPU/Disk Usage while avast! AV Pro is idle:

Something is not right with your computer/OS/software installed or maybe previous remnants of another security program and finally ensure you have Windows Defender disabled.

If all fails, then please format your compupter

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
anne.jackson,
don't listen to Snappy Phoenix.
His advise is completely wrong.

Perform a repair of avast and see if the problem is solved.
If not, perform a clean installation of the latest avast version.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »
Since you have paid avast version, and your problem is hard-disk related, then you might first consider the following:

Install Hard Disk Sentinel from hdsentinel com
(Free version)

Check the status of your hard drive with it.
(HDSentinel will only provide you with an raport of the status of your hard drive, it is not the fix itself).

If bad sectors are detected on your hard drive by HdSentinel, then please run ChkDsk utility (included with every operating system) with the switch to search for, and map any bad clusters on your hard drive.

(Or, just skip the HdSentinel part, and just run a ChkDsk with the switch to search for bad clusters).

I can't give you any suggestion on how to run ChkDsk on your system because you didn't stated what OS are you using.

But I guess you will manage - it is really an easy thing to do.

By running the ChkDsk - you will save yourself a hassle of reinstalling and/or maybe loosing (already paid) version of your Avast.

One note:
While ChkDsk is checking your Hard Drive C - if the drive is large, and if it does have some bad clusters - it might take even several hours to complete. Do not interrupt the ChkDsk when it starts by. for example turning your computer off. :)

P.S. Would love to know the outcome of your situation as a friend of mine a couple of years ago was in a similar situation as yours is. (and ChkDsk resolved his problem) :)

Best regards.