Author Topic: Windows 7 bootloop - asWrvrt.sys Avast Driver  (Read 5019 times)

REDACTED

Windows 7 bootloop - asWrvrt.sys Avast Driver
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:41:29 AM »
Hi guys, need some help with an issue.

Bootloop issue developed yesterday after a forced shutdown after failing to resume from sleep mode, so I tried to reset the CMOS by removing the battery. That worked, but now different bootloop issue came up. Before it would bootloop before POSTs, and there was this constant beeping every few seconds, but now it loads upto the windows logo and then resets.
I have a dual boot system, Windows 7 on my C drive, and Windows Server 2012 on a different drive. Server 2012 boots up fine, Im using it right now to type this, but Windows 7 is the one with the issue, booting in safe mode shows it stalling on Aswrvrt.sys, which seems to be an Avast driver file.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have a bootable Windows 7 Repair USB, and Hirens Live Boot USB, and can download any other required tools.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

EDIT: I've already ran Chkdsk with the flags /f and /r and left it running overnight, windows reports that there are no problems.
EDIT 2: Attached FRST log.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:15:17 AM by Kra-tos »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Windows 7 bootloop - asWrvrt.sys Avast Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »
hey and welcome to the avast forum i suggest you go to this guide, scroll down to the part i can't boot my computer and attach a frst+addation logfrom there a malware expert will help you out

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

good luck
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Ok I'll attach the FRST log to the original post too.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
Hi with this fix I will stop both Avast and Norton drivers from starting...  Have you recently made changes to the BCD ?

Download the attached fixlist to the same location as FRST
Start FRST as before and then press fix
On completion try a normal boot

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
Hi with this fix I will stop both Avast and Norton drivers from starting...  Have you recently made changes to the BCD ?

Download the attached fixlist to the same location as FRST
Start FRST as before and then press fix
On completion try a normal boot
Thanks, I'll try it and report back on the result.

Yes when the problem first cropped up i thought it was purely a BCD related issue, so I tried rebuilding it a couple of times to no avail. I couldn't understand why the same process fixed the Server 2012 BCD but not the Windows 7 BCD, especially since the detailed report from Startup repair reported that the Windows 7 OS booted successfully. That's when i thought to boot into safe mode and check where exactly the boot process stalled and saw that Avast driver as the last loaded file.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »
Ok so I ran the fixlist, the fixlog says everything went successfully, tried to boot into normal mode, still wont work. So i checked the startup drivers again through booting into safe mode, the last driver to appear at the bottom of the list is Classpnp.sys, though from what I gather that might not be the driver causing the problem, but rather the next driver in the list, which wouldn't appear as the system is crashed at that point? Tried to get a bootlog but thats been unsuccessful.

I then booted into Startup repair and ran FRST again, I've attached that log to this post.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
Does it boot to the other partition with no problems ?

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »
Does it boot to the other partition with no problems ?

You mean the other drive that contains Windows Server 2012? Its installed on a separate drive to Windows 7, and yes, it does boot into it with no issues.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Ok could you go into BIOS and set the non booting drive to either IDE or SATA (i.e. change from what it currently is )  then see if that allows a boot.  If not revert the settings

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 06:14:30 PM »
Ok could you go into BIOS and set the non booting drive to either IDE or SATA (i.e. change from what it currently is )  then see if that allows a boot.  If not revert the settings

It worked :o Im surprised and confused, I'd tried this several times before and it hadn't worked. Thank you good sir!

So, where to from here? Do I have to restore the avast drivers or get rid of it altogether, or something else?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
It appears to be a windows problem and I have no idea why it should change the IDE/SATA settings

Before you re-install Avast you will need to clear the remnants

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstall tool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------