Author Topic: avast v antivir!  (Read 9310 times)

Staind

Re: avast v antivir!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 04:46:07 AM »
Doesn't Norton use heuristics? Because they say it can detect some unknown virus threats. Well the 2006 version anyway...
Yes, it does.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 10:15:13 AM »
Norton is using heuristics for very long. I remember NAV2000 having heuristics.
Don't remember for sure about NAV99 and earlier.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

emy80

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »
I'm writing here since i used Antivir too. I used the version 6 and then the 7 beta. And I didn't like those at all. Granted I had the free version but it was totally impossible to update. Even manually. Or when I managed to update it it was early in the morning or late at night. Very aggravating. And the support forum in english wasn't good at all. very slow and sometime they just said Uninstall and install the program again. but it seems Antivir write lots of entires in the registry that you have to delete manually. A person who doesn't know how to do it can be very confused.
Maybe Avast is less good in virus detection and depending on the resurces of the system can be a bit heavy on them. But nothing can beat the support forum here. If you need help, you can find it very fast. or you can search for past entry and be sure to find what you need. Choosing an Antivirus is not only a matter of detection. There are lots of other things to consider. i think that, while Antivir had better detection, it lacks in other places, like the mail scanner. So overall i still prefer Avast over it. And to think I got Avast because, once I got tired of Antivir, I mispelled an antivirus name doing a google search.  ;D
So far I'm very happy with it.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 01:29:47 PM »
The only thing i like about Antivir is the name of their scanner... Luke Filewalker ....  ;D

justin1278

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 04:16:24 AM »
I really don't know much/care about Norton since avast! is hear, just was wondering.