Author Topic: Message in BootTime scan: Error 42145  (Read 3054 times)

REDACTED

Message in BootTime scan: Error 42145
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:25:20 AM »

I have Avast free and run the BootTime scan weekly, also running CCleaner before I scan.
I have Windows XP on a desktop--yes, I know, but I can't afford a new pc. I have Chrome and Firefox, and I switch between them because Chrome won't do updates for Windows XP anymore . . . I am as careful as I can be.

Today when I ran the BootTime scan, I happened to glance at the screen and saw this message:

File C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast_\ws1338C8A0.dat|>$PLUGINSDIR\g\gtb\$PLUGINSDIR\g\PF-Toolbar-2016.exe Error 42145 {Installer archive is corrupted.}

1.   What does this mean? (Please don't use "jargon" to explain as I don't understand intricate tech stuff . . . please be patient with me.)

I would not have even known about it since there was no report shown at the end of the scan, which, by the way, just continued scanning underneath the message until it was finished.

Then I did an avast scan for the selected folder, which resulted in "No threat found."

I tried to open the file just to look at it--though I wouldn't know what I was looking at. But basically it said that because it was a "DAT file" that it's used by the operating system, and that editing or modifying it could damage the system.

2.   Is that true in this case--with this file? Can it just be deleted by right-clicking and choosing delete? I.e., is it really necessary?

3.   Is it safe to use my pc with it on there? I only have this pc--no other device--and I desperately need it.

4.   Or is this something that Avast can reinstall?

I realize that to all of you experienced users I probably sound "dumb," so please be kind!

By the way, I'm a female who didn't grow up with computers but have learned as I go and as needed.

I am very worried about this. Thanks so much for helping me with this.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Message in BootTime scan: Error 42145
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »
Why did you run a boot scan in the first place ?
There normally is no need for it unless it is the only way to solve a problem.

The file  is, as you can see from the location, just a temporary file.
They always can be deleted without a problem if they are not in use.

REDACTED

Re: Message in BootTime scan: Error 42145
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:44:26 AM »
I ran a boot time scan because I thought that was the most thorough type of scan, with or without a known problem.

Yes, I understand that it is a temporary file, but as I explained, when I tried to open the file, Windows stated that because it was a DAT file, ediiting or modifying it could damage the system. Therefore, I didn't know if deleting it could also do so. I am not "savvy" about most of this stuff, as I explained.

Thank you for letting me know that it can be safely deleted. I asked in the avast forum not only because an avast scan alerted me to this, but also because the file has to do with avast.

I appreciate your help.