Author Topic: Running two Antivirus programs  (Read 3155 times)

Tallin

Running two Antivirus programs
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:53:26 PM »
:DI have downloaded Avast, but not installed it yet, due to forums telling me I should not run two Antivirus programs at the same time.  I have been running AVG free for years, with no problems, so my question is "Can I run Avast Home edition and AVG free on the same computer scheduled at different times of the day.  I have Windows XP SP/2.  Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Running two Antivirus programs
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:16:47 PM »
Can I run Avast Home edition and AVG free on the same computer scheduled at different times of the day.

The main problem is not running the on-demand scans, but rather conflicts of the resident protections; you cannot have 2 resident protections installed simultaneously.

Tallin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:00:30 PM »
Thanks for your prompt answer which was as I thought it would be............NO

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:43:55 AM »
Well, if you make sure the resident protection of avast! (for example) is not installed, i.e. uncheck all the resident providers of avast! during the installation, then it might work (though sometimes surprising things may happen even with one resident protection and 2 on-demand scanners).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:48:31 AM »
Tech did some extensive trials trying to get AVG7 beta and avast to work together without conflict (as he had been able to do with the previous AVG version) and he was unable to achieve this. In the end he abandoned this and uninstalled AVG7

He was however, trying to get AVG to act as an on-demand backup to avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security