Author Topic: latest version freezing up  (Read 6177 times)

nrv

latest version freezing up
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:11:31 PM »
After installing the latest avast version update recently the scanning process has been freezing up from time to time or just stops responding after a thousand or so files have been scanned.
I have been using avast previously so this was an update.
I also have all the requirements and more for the program to run on my computer.

Is this a glitch in the latest version or do you have a suggestion to correct this problem?
Thank you

creamola

Re: latest version freezing up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:10:47 PM »
I agree with nrv.

I came to this forum specifically because after an automatic upgrade this weekend to 4.6.763 with VPS 0606-0, I have noticed Ashserve.exe shoot up to 100% CPU utilisation when installing an MSI or installshield.

I have made zero changes to my config (yes, I know they all say that) and am running an Athlon 2.8 with 1GB Ram and XP prof.

If you want to check for yourself, just try installing CD Trustee from www.base40.com or for an msi Music_Database_V2 from http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_6_201_9182.html - because these both take my ashserve.exe to 100%.

I checked and all settings are still on normal - not high/custom.

Best wishes,
Creamola.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
nrv: What scan are you talking about? Resident protection or on-demand scan? If it's the later, how exactly did you start it (with what settings)? Did you try to wait a while before claiming it "frozen"?

creamola: How long does ashServ.exe stay on 100% CPU? (approximatelly)

Even though the latest update includes new scanning of MSI archives, it shouldn't be enabled for the resident scanner (Standard Shield). I tried the file you linked and it started immediatelly.
If you open the resident protection window, select Standard Shield provider and watch the "Last scanned" item - what is really being scanned?

nrv

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:42:24 PM »
I start a daily scan the same way I always have:
right click "a" ball in tray; click start avast antivirus.

yes, each time except the last time( as I knew it wasn't going to free up) I waited from ten minutes to 20 minutes.
When clicking ctrl+alt+delete it showed the program was not responding.

Because my job is internet related I always manually start the scan inbetween client 's jobs...then come back to the next job after the scan is completed.
Although now the process screen for the scan is "frozen", I can't even click on the "x" to close it nor will anything else on it respond to the mouse.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:29:28 PM »

Welcome to the forums, nrv & creamola!    :)

Are you using the Home version or the Pro version?    ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »
nrv, please go to program settings, switch to "Report" page and enable report generation. Let all the records (even "OK files") be included. Now, run the scan again. The resulting report will be rather huge - but when it freezes (or when it seems to be frozen), you should be able to guess the current position of the scan according to the end of the report file.
(If there really is a file that makes avast! freeze, we need to identify and analyze it.)

nrv

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »
The version I am referring to  is the "Home" version on my home computer as I am laid up after an accident and am not able to go to the company's office to use their business computer.

I want to be sure you understand the freeze up is not happening each time it runs, but has happened four times only since installing your recent update version and had not done this before installing the new version..nothing else on my home computer has been added or changed other than that update.

I'll set it for the report page and run in again.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:10:27 PM »
What operating system do you use, btw?

creamola

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »

creamola: How long does ashServ.exe stay on 100% CPU? (approximatelly)

It cycles approx every second between 100% and a base load of about 15%. You have to leave the s/w at the link I gave (it's OK - it's only an automatic database for collecting CD info - nothing dodgy) to run it's course - ashserve.exe doesn't run to 100% immediately.

I have all shield settings as normal.

It's not a big issue - in normal use - I don't have a problem - it's just that I noticed this unusual behaviour for the first time since installing Avast 2 years ago and even recommend it here: http://www.howtogetbroadband.co.uk

Best wishes,
Creamola.

strangequark

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 10:48:03 PM »
Having the same problem here with the new free version. The program locks up during a scan, and not necessarily on the same file, If I click anywhere on the Avast interface I get the MS window pop up saying 'Program Not Responding'. If I start scan again it usually works although not always. This is the second problem with this version, the other was wirh outgoing mail mentioned on another post. My worry is, are there other parts of Avast not workinf properly like real time protection for instance. Never had any problems with any previous versions.