Author Topic: Can't access web  (Read 9648 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't access web
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »
Well I too have been able to access all 5 links with web shield on in both IE and firefox, a couple of the links use activeX and asked what to do because of my security settings but it lets me in even if I deny activeX.

Somehow I don't think repair will have any effect as this is intermittent, works on some sites but not on others. if avast needed a repair that had a direct effect on this you wouldn't be able to access any sites with web shield enabled.

You are probably more likely to see a difference if you tried a different browser as I suggested previously or try a 'repair install of Internet Explorer'.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=repair+install+of+Internet+Explorer
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

M.Hat

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »
I did install Firefox last night, but it made no difference.

Now here's the kicker!!!!

This morning when I booted up, everything worked.  I assure you, all the problems I reported over the last several days were real.  But right now web shield is on and I'm able toaccess everything, including email!

The problem (and there is one) must be on my computer.  I've had other little glitches like this, and I suspect this one will return again.  I really feel a clean install of XP is indicated. 

Thanks again for all the generous help!

Cheers,  Don.

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 11:30:36 PM »

Glad to know it's now working, Don! I hope all remains working well!    :)