Author Topic: How to turn off 1) boot-time scan, 2) skin interface??  (Read 6375 times)

Reziac

How to turn off 1) boot-time scan, 2) skin interface??
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:47:01 AM »
Hi folks.. I had just uninstalled an ill-mannered competitor from a client's home PC, and he needed SOME sort of AV protection, so thought I'd try Avast for the first time.

So I fetched and downloaded Avast's free Home edition, installed it, everything seemed to go fine, and it's MUCH lighter on the system. However I ran into these problems:

The registration key refused to "take". It threw me to a "register or demo mode?" dialog, and after a couple tries I gave up and just picked Demo mode. How do I fix this so this user will have permanent protection?

During installation, it asked if I wanted to do boot-time scan. I thought it meant of boot sector, memory, and core OS files, but it meant ALL files, which takes over an hour! How do I turn this off?

How do I turn off the skinned interface? I find it awkward and confusing, and very much wish for a standard Windows program interface.

Thanks!

~REZ~

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: How to turn off 1) boot-time scan, 2) skin interface??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »
Hello ;D

The registration key refused to "take". It threw me to a "register or demo mode?" dialog, and after a couple tries I gave up and just picked Demo mode. How do I fix this so this user will have permanent protection?
Did you tried copy&paste the key or you entered it manual? Try to enter it copy&paste and if this doesn't help try to register again ;)
During installation, it asked if I wanted to do boot-time scan. I thought it meant of boot sector, memory, and core OS files, but it meant ALL files, which takes over an hour! How do I turn this off?
Usually the boot-time scan is performed only once after you shouldled it. Do the boot-time scan repeat every time you turn the PC?
How do I turn off the skinned interface? I find it awkward and confusing, and very much wish for a standard Windows program interface.
If you don't like the default skin you can download a lot of others great skins from here:> http://avast.com/eng/skins.html
Or for skinless interface just go to the programs settings :>Common page and there just uncheck the option "Use skins in the Simple User Interface"(or something similar - I'm using the Bulgarian language version)
The other way to use skinless interface is to run the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimple2.exe ;)

You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Reziac

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:22:08 PM »
Hello ;D

Hi back!

Did you tried copy&paste the key or you entered it manual? Try to enter it copy&paste and if this doesn't help try to register again ;)

I tried copy and paste but it didn't work. Then I typed it manually and that didn't take either! Well, next time I'm over there I'll try to register it again. At least it seems to be working in the meantime.

Usually the boot-time scan is performed only once after you shouldled it. Do the boot-time scan repeat every time you turn the PC?

Oh. Maybe it forces a restart if it's not allowed to finish the first time? I interrupted it, because it was obviously going to take a long time and I still had other fixes to do on that PC.

I did set it to just delete infected files, as this user won't have a clue what to do with 'em.

If you don't like the default skin you can download a lot of others great skins from here:> http://avast.com/eng/skins.html
Or for skinless interface just go to the programs settings :>Common page and there just uncheck the option "Use skins in the Simple User Interface"(or something similar - I'm using the Bulgarian language version)
The other way to use skinless interface is to run the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimple2.exe ;)

I tried turning off Skins entirely in Common, it ignored me and kept right on using the skin :(

But next time I'll try running ashSimple2.exe directly instead, and see how that behaves.

Thanks for the help!

~REZ~

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:13:24 AM »
What exactly did you turn off in program settings?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »
I thought this strange too Igor, so I unchecked Enable Skins in Simple User Interface and Enable skins for Explorer Extension, even after rebooting I still have skins in the S.U.I.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:14:30 PM »
How do you start the Simple User Interface?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »
I have a desktop shortcut to ashSimpl.exe, to be able to run it without the memory check which I usually us if I'm not intending to do a scan, so it would appear that that is bypassing the usual initiation it remains skinned.

However, when I Right click the avast icon Start avast! Antivirus I got the unskinned version.

Perhaps that is what Reziac is doing, since he knows about ashSimpl2.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 04:48:03 PM »
Yes, if you have a shortcut to ashSimpl.exe, then you'll always get the skinned version.

The mentioned setting actually only changes what executable will be started by ashAvast.exe (i.e. the splash screen) after the memory check is done - either ashSimpl.exe (skinned) or ashSimp2.exe (skinless).

Reziac

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 08:10:15 PM »
What exactly did you turn off in program settings?

I don't have it in front of me (it's not my machine) but I believe it was a checkbox that was supposed to turn skins on or off. The interface stayed the same whether it was checked or not.

In case it matters, the OS is WinXP Home SP2 (Compaq incarnation), with all updates.

~REZ~

Reziac

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »
I have a desktop shortcut to ashSimpl.exe, to be able to run it without the memory check which I usually us if I'm not intending to do a scan, so it would appear that that is bypassing the usual initiation it remains skinned.

However, when I Right click the avast icon Start avast! Antivirus I got the unskinned version.

Perhaps that is what Reziac is doing, since he knows about ashSimpl2.exe

Nope, I only know about ashSimpl2.exe because someone here mentioned it in the first reply I got :)

I was starting the interface by either doubleclicking or Right-clicking (I can't remember, maybe both ways) the systray icon.

~REZ~
(have I mentioned my repute as "the beta tester who can break anything"...? :)