Author Topic: Scanning Error/Warning  (Read 2445 times)

parrotplay

Scanning Error/Warning
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »
I received a scanning error and warning in the Avast Log Viewer.  They say:  Network Service, Application-1144, AAVM-Scanning Error (warning): x_aavm CheckFile Direct...
In the XP Event Viewer says:  Event ID 90, AAVM Scanning Error: x_AavmCheckFileDirecEx:avfilesScanRealofC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wwSecure.exe filed, 00000005.  There is also a warning that followed this error as well.
I discovered these after checking to see what was going on with my system, all these windows were opening everywhere, the mouse was going all over the screen on its own, opening windows all over, had to manually shut down system, would not let me get to where I could do so otherwise.  Even right now, the printer window opened, to choose  a printer.  I did not bring that up, did on its own.  HELP!! What are these errors, could they be why the computer is being totally erratic now?  How to fix this!  Thank you so much!

CharleyO

Re: Scanning Error/Warning
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:12:39 PM »

Welcome to the forums, parrotplay!    :)

A Google search for wwSecure.exe produced these results ......

http://www.google.com/search?q=wwSecure.exe&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

This seems to be a file assocciated with one or more Webroot programs which would make it a legitimate file. After several pages of result, though, there were a few mentions that some malware might name a file this way.

Error code 0000005 corresponds to "Access is denied."  This might also indicate that the above exe is a legitimate file as it would most likely be password protected and, therefore, prevented from being opened by any av.

I am sorry that I can be of no farther help. The symptoms you describe are those of some type of malware. But the info you included gave me no clue as to what. Perhaps someone else can post more information for you.

mauserme

Re: Scanning Error/Warning
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
Hi parrotplay,

Sorry you've been waiting so long between posts.

I don't have a definitive answer for you but suggest the following initial steps:

1)  Make sure you have a third party firewall installed and configured to block any inbound or outbound activity that looks unusual

2)  If you don't already have Ewido download and install it, then reboot into safe mode and do a scan.  Let Ewido quarantine anything it finds.

Post again with your results.