Author Topic: I excluded a website connection to NOT stop a malware installation  (Read 1416 times)

REDACTED

I excluded a website connection to NOT stop a malware installation
« on: September 07, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
I can't find where I can go to reverse a decision to exclude a potential malware download connection from a website.  The alert was so loud, I mistakenly clicked exlude, because the alert did NOT contain enough information to make the right decision.

I blocked the whole website by url: justredirect25.com, manually, but I can only assume that that doesn't cure the issue, because if another site tries to connect with the same malware, I'm screwed.  What should I do to correct this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I excluded a website connection to NOT stop a malware installation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »
To start with we would need some additional information.
What version of avast are you using (the latest version is 18.6.2349) ?

Where did you block it ?
AvastUI > Components > Web Shield > Customise > Site Blocking - the URL if you are trying to block it is where it should be, if the intention is to block it.

I'm not exactly clear on what it is that is happening, can you expand on what is actually happening ?

If the justredirect25.com is being redirected from another site with a script or iFrame, etc. is redirecting to justredirect25.com then Avast should still block access to this 3rd party website.

There are other things that you can do, based on what browser you use, I use Firefox and use the uMatrix which can block access to 3rd party sites unless you give permission.  Another old add-on was RequestPolicy which blocked 3rd party access unless specifically allowed by the user.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:31:57 PM »
k, First I was web surfing and I got a loud ding.

A pop up window came up and said that Avast STOPPED a connection that was trying to download a specific Malware program.
Then it gave me a choice of do it or create an exception.

For reasons beyond my comprehension, I clicked on the right side button, and created an exception...it still stopped the connection, but my concern is that any other website can now download that specific malware program to my computer, because I can't find where to reverse it.  But I went into the web shield and specifically blocked the site (url) at it's top: e.g., dingaling.com* which only allows protection until they rename it to *26.com...etc.

My Avast version is: 18.6.2349 (build 18.6.3983.0)
I use the Opera Browser, with ScriptSafe, because I think it's less of a spyware program than Chrome or Firefox (both are getting horrible with being more about logging me, than just going to a website, imo.  Forget about IE or whatever the heck is their "cool" version they think people may use...)

All I want to do is FIND the Avast list where it places the malware programs I made an exception for, from alerts while online, and delete that. 

Thank you for any help you can provide.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:37:14 PM by Jeffglobal »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:39 AM »
If you weren't actually visiting the justredirect25.com site but another site that has tried to redirect you to justredirect25.com (the site may have been hacked to redirect to a malicious site).  You can't really speculate what the redirected site may be called in future.  You didn't have that previously, but avast still blocked what it considered dangerous/malicious (effectively blocking before you actually got hit.

Avast isn't placing malware programs, it is alerting you to an infected/suspect site.

You created a site block using what I suggested, though it would be better not to use a wildcard * such as *25.com, that could also block legitimate sites *justredirect25.com would reduce that likelihood.

Have you looked in the avastUI > settings > General > Exclusions - URL tab ?
That is more likely where the exclusion would have been placed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security