Author Topic: Avast Full Virus Scan not working  (Read 2287 times)

REDACTED

Avast Full Virus Scan not working
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
 :(  Computer is a Compaq running Win 8.1.  I had what I though might be an infection, so I ran Avast Full Virus Scan.  It reported two possible infections as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full Virus Scan

2 Issues

F:\downloads\Vistadownload\ImgBurn_setup.exe
F:\Downlaods\image burners\SoftonicDownloader_for_imgburn.exe

Back  Resolve
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I clicked on "Resolve" and thin green bars ran back and forth on the screen for a while then stopped.  Nothing else happened.  The screen stayed as before.  I changed the "auto"  button to "delete" and clicked on "resolve" again.  Green lines went back and forth and it stopped.  No further action.

I went to the file locations (F:\downloads etc.) and the subdirectories and files were still there, so I deleted them.

Now every time I try to run "Full Virus Scan" it goes immediately to the screen above.  Clicking "resolve" accomplishes nothing.

How can I clear this and press on?

Keith

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Avast Full Virus Scan not working
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
  It reported two possible infections as follows
and what did avast say about these ... malware name given?

Now every time I try to run "Full Virus Scan" it goes immediately to the screen above.  Clicking "resolve" accomplishes nothing.
have you tried avast repair?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
The scans have an issue since the release of v17 which is yet to be solved.

The resolve button does REMOVE the threats but the animation afterwards doesn't work for the folder scan (to show the threats have been removed).

So it does look like clicking resolve does nothing but it does remove the files.

This is a known bug to the Avast team.

Here is a video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/PDl8tb1CQC4

Only the smart scan is NOT affected by this issue.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »
Are you saying that there is nothing to be done?  I now have a crippled version of Avast!?
Keith
ps to those who replied earlier:  my original post says all that Avast tells me about these files.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 11:51:06 PM »
Does the software perform as expected?  No.  Likely due to known issues that are being worked on.

Is the software crippled?  No, it is not. 

It does perform as expected in just about all other areas.  Bugs are just that, bugs.

Your above detections likely fall under the category of heuristic detections and so may or may not be valid detections.

To fix your issue with subsquent Full Scans not running as expected, try a repair.
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814