Author Topic: Avast has nullified my Start Page so I can no longer do searches from there  (Read 1830 times)

REDACTED

I use Start Page (https://www.startpage.com/eng/) as my home page. From there I do my Internet searches. I was looking for an image that exemplied the statement "I'm sick". So, on Start Page, I clicked on Images, then entered "I'm sick" in the search box; and as soon as I hit Enter, Avast popped up with a trojan warning and nullifed Start Page so I can no longer do searches from there. I have to go to Google to do my searches now, which I don't like because, frankly, I don't like Google. 

First of all, why did Avast do this, as I have used Start Page for years with no such trouble? And, secondly, how do I undo this mistake?

Thanks. I appreciate any and all comments.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Cast

Interesting I tried doing it myself in edge, firefox, avast safe zone browser and opera. Opera was the only one that allowed it go through but im assuming it did so because I use the VPN that is built within the browser.

Also not sure what Asyn linked to above was for as it is the webshield that is blocking the connection and not the browser clean up.

REDACTED

I wasn't sure what that link was for, either, as I'm not familiar with Avast Browser Cleanup Tool is, as I don't have an Avast Browser, at least so far as I'm aware of. Thanks for your reply. What's the next step? I'd really like to get my Start Page back. I wonder if rebooting would help. It can't hurt to try, anyway.

On an unrlated note, I can hardly read the Verification thing I have to fill out in order to post. On some of them, I'm not able to read them. I have to Request another image a number of times before I can find one I can read. The contrast and the busyness is too much.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
On an unrlated note, I can hardly read the Verification thing I have to fill out in order to post. On some of them, I'm not able to read them. I have to Request another image a number of times before I can find one I can read. The contrast and the busyness is too much.
Forum spam protection ... just first 3 posts

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
I always use Startpage to search and I've never had Avast pop up and show a trojan warning.  I use the Microsoft Edge Browser and Startpage  as my home page.