Author Topic: My Virus Prevents web access too!  (Read 2298 times)

kentek

My Virus Prevents web access too!
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:26:20 PM »
one day while using MSN chat something came up in my chat window and said "Yo, this is you?" and it showed a link that looked something like  (kentek.MSNmyprofile.com) so I was curious as to what it was in my profile that would prompt somebody to ask me this and of course I clicked on the link and it automatically downloaded something and then disappeared and I would suspect began to run silently in the background on my system. soon I was not able to go online to Avast.com or Mcfea or any other websites that were antivirus software related, some of my favourite websites would not open, emails were missing then back again, my outlook express was reeking havoc on me by switching stuff from one email box to another without me doing anything, People who normally would send me emails were complaining that I had just dropped off the earth because no emails were getting through, System clean tools and spybot were shut down.

I really don't know what it was and I've not seen anything like it mentioned yet till now when I searched the AVAST FORUMS only JUST recently being able to get onto the site. My operating system is Windows 2000. I only recently got Avast to work on my system again and I can't get the online monitor to work and it nolonger sits in my task bar and I don't know if it's working properly anymore, I used to every once in a while hear the alarm go off telling me that it had detected a virus but now the only time that I hear that is when I run a full system check which takes so darn long.

Can anyone help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: My Virus Prevents web access too!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
This looks like curiosity did kill the cat and you have some form Trojan, see below and start with Ewido of the programs listed.

I can't get the online monitor to work and it nolonger sits in my task bar and I don't know if it's working properly anymore,
avast's on-line monitor web shield doesn't sit in the system tray, but the avast blue 'a' icon, is that on your system tray ?
What processes are running for avast, they begin with ash or asw:
ashDisp.exe, ashMaiSv.exe, ashServ.exe, ashWebSv.exe and aswUpdSv.exe ?

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
4. Ewido Security Suite
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security