Author Topic: Confused about upgrade and being double-charged.  (Read 1662 times)

REDACTED

Confused about upgrade and being double-charged.
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:08:26 PM »
I had the basic Avast Internet Security Service (not free) and then upgraded my service to Premiere two months later for $9.99. I understand that I added  Premiere.  I recently got a notice that I needed to update the card expiration date as I was up for renewal for the Basic, however, since I had upgraded to Premiere shouldn't  that be the current one on auto-renewal now so the other is unnecessary and does not need auto-renewal?  I show two licenses because I had the upgrade last year. I'm guessing the more recent of the two is the one that is valid, but with only the ticket thing and no person to speak with, I am confused.  Any ideas?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Confused about upgrade and being double-charged.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »
You could call the wording "upgrade" wrong as it is not truly upgrading but taking a new subscription.
In your case for avast premier.
That is why you now have two licenses.

You could ask avast for a refund and disable the auto-renewal for the one you don't want.
I would say create a ticket and ask avast to do so.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:12 PM »
Thanks for responding. You're correct. The term "upgrade" is misleading and that's where my confusion was. I suppose I thought the "upgrade to Premier" meant it was an addition to my existing service and not creating another new license.  My "upgrade" was $9.99 to do so. Premier is up for auto-renewal in a couple of months and will be at the regular price. so I did go ahead and cancel he original service (license) auto-renewal  and left the Premier one.  I sent in a ticket once about something and never got a response.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:18:53 PM »
Well, handling time for a ticket is currently +/- 15 business days.
Way too long and it sucks big time in my opinion, but I can't change it as I'm not working for avast.
All I can say about that is have patience.

Good thing to disable the auto-renewal.
If you have your administration in order, you already know when it is about time to extend a subscription ;)
No need for avast to do it automatically.
By the time a subscription is about to expire, "shop" around to see where you can get the best deal.
It could be one of the distributers/resellers has a nice offer at that time.
avast is always charging you the full price.