Author Topic: Show folder currently being scanned  (Read 1224 times)

REDACTED

Show folder currently being scanned
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
The latest version of Avast (17.5) doesn't show the proper scanning details anymore. It just shows plain and boring percentage, which tells nothing.

The earlier versions were much more helpful and verbose, as they displayed the current folder.

Is it possible to get those details back? Why was that removed at all? Is Avast now targeting only the dumb folk? Some of us are geeks and want more details.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Show folder currently being scanned
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
I know many people would like to see that function back, but personally I never found that function very helpful, mainly because I rarely did an on-demand scan and when doing so didn't sit there waiting for it to finish.

However, there is are some  setting in the on-demand scans that make the take much more difficult as it doesn't scan folder by folder:
1.  Sensitivity - follow links during scan.
2.  Performance - speed up scanning by reading files in the order they are stored on disk.

3.  even if it were possible (and you didn't have the 2 options above disabled) the speed of the scan was such that by the time something is displayed to the screen the scan was no longer there.

With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

There used to be a specific real-time Statistics area in the older versions of avastUI, this didn't give much detail either only 5 lines of scans. This was for all shields combined not 5 lines for each.  This was removed some time ago for a revamp on the pretext that it wasn't particularly useful (at only 5 lines), it has never come back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security