Author Topic: Help!  (Read 3138 times)

Joletta

Help!
« on: December 26, 2003, 05:59:23 AM »
I had installed Avast 4 on my home pc (running XP) and it worked great!....until someone deleted parts?(I'm guessing here) of the program.  It now doesn't  actively exist on my computer however it is still in my add/remove programs (and I can't remove it; I click the change/remove button and the screen flashes, that's it, just flashes and the program is still there)  I also cannot download it again (which was my idea to fix it; remove and replace).  When I try to re-download I get a msg that says something like there is already an operating version of avast and do I want to replace.  I click yes....and nothing!  It doesn't replace it, fix it, tell me off :) or anything.  

Any help would be appreciated (btw can you tell that I'm  completely technologically disadvantaged?  :))

Waldo

Re:Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 11:49:25 AM »
HI!

Download this cleaner util to completely uninstall Avast

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html

Than download the full and most recent version again to install it.

hope this helps,

Waldo

« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 11:50:30 AM by Waldo »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Help!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 12:14:58 PM »
Waldo is correct, try:

1. Download avast! 4.1.319
2. Desinstall avast (Control Panel).
3. Boot
4. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
5. Boot
6. Install the downloaded 4.1.319 version.
7. Boot
8. Enter the Registration key and configure avast! for your needs. Anyway, if you need another licence key, the registration form can be found here.

If you had, previously, another antivirus application installed, could be useful a complete desinstallation of it and some Registry cleaning. You can use the following applications:

RegClean for Windows 98 (but works on XP)

BeClean Specially the Registry Cleaning feature.
The best things in life are free.

Joletta

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 02:57:15 AM »
Thank you Waldo and Technical.  That was driving me crazy!  It's gone now though....so off I go to download avast! again.