Author Topic: Help - Lost access to all MS Office files  (Read 4469 times)

DaveS

Help - Lost access to all MS Office files
« on: June 03, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »
Help
[Problem]
I ran the Home Edition for the first time and I cannot access any MS Office files (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access) on ALL Microsoft office products. I alos tried creating a new document in each program. It allows me to create it but after saving and exiting, I can open it.

[Info and attempted solustions]
I use XP professional and Office 2003. I have updated all my XP updates and office updates. I had unloaded and even uninstalled Norton's Antivirus prior to loading your software.

I am using AVAST Home edition v 7.0 and VPS 0622-4. I also uninstalled and reinstalled AVAST hoping to regain access to my MS Office files. In both cases, I had negative results.

I checked the FAQ page and forum for possible solutions.

I typically use Thunderbird e-mail.

I have a 1G DDR SDRAM using an AMD Athlon XP processor running at 2.08 GHz. I have the latest BIOS for this machine. AMI 3.21 (8/31/2004).

All required security hotfixes (using the 03/14/2006 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed. The latest added:  KB913446 on 4/6/2006 and KB913580 on 5/11/2006.

I use a broadband connection and the windows firewall.

I also use the avast virus cleaner to see if that would fix things. It found none

I also used Malicious File Finder by Microsoft and found none.

No virus have shown up on either the virus cleaner or through running Avast home edition.

[Error Message on trying to open MS Office Documents]
When I try to open an office file this is the message I get:
"You may be encountering this message because an anti-virus program is not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to a compability problem with this application) or there is a virus in the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process the virus it has found.

In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus software manufacturers have created updates to address known compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known forms of viruses.

If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates available from the vendor.

If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program cannot remove the infection.

There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be available with the application (not all applications have file recovery or repair capabilities).

For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 835404."

Help. I wasn't looking to be so frustrated when I downloaded and used your software. Thanks for any help you may give me. How do I regain access to all my MD Office files.

Dave

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Help - Lost access to all MS Office files
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 05:41:02 PM »
I bet it has actually nothing to do with avast!, but may be related to an incomplete uninstallation procedure of Norton (common source of problems, I must say).
There's a special tool to "manually" remove NAV, depending on the particular version. Try to check Symantec site, and also search this forum - there are plenty of threads on the subject.

DaveS

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 06:11:58 PM »
I just was on the symantic site. I tried using their uninstaler. It did not work. It says I need to use the Uninstall in Windows Control panel first and then use their uninstaller. However I already used this and there is no Norton program on the list. I next went to My programs to see if there was anything left there. There was but when I tried to use the uninstaller there. It said you must have a program to uninstall. So I am going in circles. Any other suggestions?
DaveS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »
It said you must have a program to uninstall.
No, I've used it without any Symantec *actually* installed... just to remove trash left behind.
You have to take 3 steps and NOT only use the SymNRT tool.
The best things in life are free.

DaveS

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:35:13 PM »
Just an update. It was the symantic incomplete uninstall that was causing the problem with the MS Office files not being able to load. I had used the three files mentioned prior and it still did not work.

[Next]
I first used msconfig. Checked load selective. And unchecked everything but load system services and original boot.ini. Rebooted and then reinstalled Norton. Afterwards, I ran msconfig again and checked normal startup. I rebooted and ran uninstall again. Finally, it was gone. I did have an older version of Norton that I just kept updating the signatures. I do not know if it would have been such an issue with a new version. Anyhow what a waste of time.

I appreciate the help that was given me on this forum. Thanks.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 05:04:53 AM »
Anyhow what a waste of time.
Congratulations... you've got rid of Symantec monster  8)

I appreciate the help that was given me on this forum. Thanks.
You're welcome... feel free to come back, ask for help and, if you could, share your experience and help here  8)
The best things in life are free.