Author Topic: spontaneous dialer window  (Read 7063 times)

JLS

spontaneous dialer window
« on: December 28, 2003, 10:26:50 PM »
I just recently started using the Avast! 4 home edition, and my dialer was coming on and staying logged to the web.  I have my email and browser set to disconnect after 10 minutes of inactivity, but the modem was staying on.  I unchecked log on automatically and set my Avast! 4 updater to let me update manually, but the window is still coming up.  I'm using Win98se and Explorer 6.  I'm also using adaware and spyware blaster so it shouldn't ( I hope)  be spyware phoning home.  Anyone else had a similar situation or a possible solution?  Is there some kind of a modem activity logger that I could use?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:spontaneous dialer window
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 10:32:12 PM »
What dialer are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot?

One thing is sure - avast does not contain any dialer things.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

JLS

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 11:36:57 PM »
Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm talking about the standard dialer window in Windows dial up networking.  I'm on a dial-up account (live in the country, no cable and too far removed from civilization for dsl) and for the computer to dial in to the web, this window comes up.  I don't know how to pull a screenshot to show you.  

Thanks for the quick response

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 01:28:45 AM »
To make a screenshot you can click CRLT+SHIFT+PrintScreen simultaneously, open a image application, paste the clipboard and save it to a file (*.gif for instance). In the forums you can use the button 'Attach' to post the file. To do this automatically, try ScreenPrint32.

Could you tell us what is your configuration for connecting to the Internet:
1) Never dial a connection
2) Dial if a net connection is not present
3) Always dial the default connection

Besides this, what is your avast! configuration at Updates (Advanced) settings page: dial-up or DSL?
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 02:15:48 AM »
also do you have norton utitlites 2004? it has something called connection keep alive that my cause this
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

JLS

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 03:38:18 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  Let's see if I can get the screenshot to post.

Technical - I have my connection configured to always dial the default connection and Avast! is set to dial-up.

MacLover - I did have norton internet security 2003 loaded and it was such a resource hog that it gutted my system - a 1.7 AMD.  I've searched the system and registry and deleted all of the remnants I could find.

Thank you much for your help.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 03:38:52 AM by JLS »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 02:09:33 PM »
According to your Firewall, which program is trying to connect the Internet?
If you set 'always dial the default connection', any program will be able to dial... but the firewall could 'allow' only the desired ones...  ;)

JLS

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 04:19:09 PM »
I didn't feel the need to run a firewall, since I'm on a dial-up account :-[.  I guess this should be my next addition, and would probably give me logging info on the connection port.  Any suggestions on an easy to configure firewall?  Will a firewall have any negative affect on the system throughput, as I'm already limited by dial-up modem?  

r_du_neuf_trois

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 05:46:25 PM »
Try Kerio, it's free for non commercial use and works great. I love it.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 06:57:03 PM »
And of course if all else fails, you could just reset your Internet Options to "never dial", like I do.  That way nothing, not even IE, can dial out, but will simply give you a "page not accessible" error if you haven't already dialed up yourself.

If you go that route, check that setting from time to time too.  You may find sites and/or programs that'll try to change it, similarly to how browser hijackers work.  And those fall into the rather fuzzy borderline area between worms, which avast should catch, and spyware which avast can't see but a good utility for the latter should find.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 08:24:31 PM »
if you try kerio get 2.1.5 and not the buggy 4.0.10.
a better choice (and I know technical agrees) is the free edition of Zone Alarm
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

JLS

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 11:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice. ;) Talked to a buddy at work today that is also using the Zone Alarm.  He started out with the free version, and recently bought the pro version.  I'll follow and install the free version tonight.  Hopefully, this will give me the logging info to find out what program is triggering the dialer and where it's trying to go.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 01:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice. ;) Talked to a buddy at work today that is also using the Zone Alarm.  He started out with the free version, and recently bought the pro version.  I'll follow and install the free version tonight.  Hopefully, this will give me the logging info to find out what program is triggering the dialer and where it's trying to go.

Congratulations, very good choice indeed (like MacLover has already said...).
I do recommend a firewall even if you use a dial up. ZoneAlarm won't eat so much RAM that affect your system performance too much. You will see how many 'attachs' you suffer just in a few minutes!

I use -and recommend- the MikeBCda's suggestion for 'never dial' too.  ;)

JLS

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 04:38:12 PM »
Thanks for all of your great advice!  Set up zone alarm last night, and allowed permissions to the programs I wanted to use the connection, and now I'm waiting for the offending party (program), to trigger a warning.  You guys are right on the ping activity.  I had no idea that so many addresses were trying to hit the computer.  Within 3 minutes of having the wall up and the connection on, I had over 75 different intrusion attempts, and finally turned off that notification. Between Avast!, Zone Alarm, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster - I think the system is now safe and locked down.

I appreciate all of your help. 8)