Author Topic: P2P shield  (Read 8128 times)

chrisfry112

P2P shield
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:50:13 AM »
can someone why  does my PC freezes or locks up every 30 seconds and uses 100% CPU, slowing down my PC way useing the P2P shield on a program utorrent is there a fix or a patch for this.
 ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: P2P shield
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:54:03 AM »
Search the board for uTorrent and you`ll find the way to remove it from the Mail Scanner.
But, as far I know, the last virus database has already removed it from the scanning by the 'mail' scanner  ::)
Are you using the last avast version? And database?
The best things in life are free.

Marseille

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:48:39 PM »
Hi guys Im having the same problem , I have the last updated avast4 pro , and using and running Utorrent , messenger , ewildo anti malware and the Smartguardian (temp monitor)

I made the change to the ini file  but the computer lock up every 10 to 15 second showing me 100 of cpu usage

please help , thanks in advance

Marseille

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »
I found the solution I posted here If anyone is having the same problem

My ĀµTorrent/PC freezes or locks up every 30 seconds and/or uses 100% CPU, slowing down my PC (Avast!, possibly others)

This can be caused by Avast!'s P2P shield, which scans P2P apps. Disabling this option will fix your problem.
Here's step-by-step instructions on disabling the P2P shield (thanks to scarface_666):

* Double click the left mouse button on your Avast! icon in the system tray (to the left of the system clock) and your On-Access Scanner will open in a separate window. If you don't see the icon, click on the arrow and it should expand to show all the icons in the system tray.
    * Click the left mouse button on the "Details >>" button at the bottom of the Avast On-Access Scanner to open up more options.
    * Look for the P2P Shield on the left of you On-Access Scanner window and left click your mouse button on it and the P2P Shield should now be highlighted.
    * Now click your left mouse button on the "Terminate" Button (Located on the right of the On-Access Scanner window) and you should see some text near the top of the window saying "No task is currently using this provider".
    * Finally, click the "OK" Button and the bottom right of the On-Access Scanner window and the P2P shield will be disabled.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:23:10 PM by Marseille »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:21:02 PM »
Just remove P2P Shield if you have problems with high CPU usage.
It's more a problem of Bittorent than avast!. And also because you're probably downloading archives...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:27:40 PM »
I made the change to the ini fileĀ  but the computer lock up every 10 to 15 second showing me 100 of cpu usage
Are you using the last avast version? 4.7.844
Did you change the avast4.ini file, save and then boot?

chrisfry112

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:56:39 PM »
no when i post it i was running 4.7.827 what was released on April 28, 2006 i see there is a new one so i will update and see if it has been fixed  let you know if it has been fixed our not and yes i did change ini file, save and then boot on 4.7.827.

Marseille

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:23:37 PM »
I hace the last version and I made the .ini change and boot the only thing for now that solve my problem is to disable the p2p shield
:(

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 12:16:41 AM »
You don't really lose any protection by disabling P2P Shield...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 03:13:02 AM »
@ Alwil team: Is there any way to debug the CPU usage here? I mean, what exactly is making ashserv.exe use all the CPU?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »
Only by checking the Last Scanned items in the resident providers; it ashServ.exe is using the CPU, it must be scanning something.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 10:55:39 AM »
The cause are archived files transfered through Bittorrent (big archives).
It must be something with extraction and speed of transfers through BT that cause this. Interesting though i haven't seen any such problems since i upgraded my system RAM to 1,5GB. And i can't exactly remember this to happen with uTorrent. But happened very often with BitTornado and Azureus...

chrisfry112

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 10:41:09 AM »
i every one no still not fixed got the last version and  made the .ini change not happy about disable the p2p shield. as the avast i am running is pro not home

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:31 AM »
So? Makes no difference. P2P Shield is the same in both.

chrisfry112

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 12:16:47 PM »
hi yes it does the home is free i paid for it as being that you have to paid for it all things should work. as it lookes like getting a new antivirus as avst has put in an p2p shield that does not work