Author Topic: QUESTIONS ABILITY  (Read 8907 times)

T8TR

QUESTIONS ABILITY
« on: December 27, 2003, 09:23:36 PM »
I JUST DOWNLOADED AVAST AND WANTED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT RIGHT AWAY. I RAN IT THRU ALL ITS TESTS AND SEEMED SATISFIED. THEN I STARTED TO RUN AN "OVERALL" TEST. AFTER 36 MINUTES THE RESULTS CAME BACK SAYING UNABLE TO SCAN Z;  AND UNABLE TO SCAN A:  AND THIS MEANS? ???

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:QUESTIONS ABILITY
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 09:32:39 PM »
first do not use caps in your post, it is considered as shouting  :o
are these A: and Z: drive are the floppy and the CD-rom drives respectively? if so, is there any disk in the drives?
MW

T8TR

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 11:48:21 PM »
 :) No. Sorry about protocol.  No discs in drives a or d or e.  That is what is so confusing.  The list of "scanned" files is quite large, but apparently frutless.  Maybe it has to do with zone alarm or avast virus checker.  Any thoughts? ???

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 01:03:55 AM »
For a start, it would help to know which avast you're using (home? pro? some other?).  I assume if you've "just downloaded" then you've got the most recent version of whichever.

With extremely rare exceptions, the only time I get a "can't scan" is files, typically Win system files, which avast says are in use by another process.  Oh, and I did set up one don't-scan exception, a set of folders which I know are nothing but a huge collection of JPG's (images), not worth the extra time they would need for scanning.  For some reason avast insists on reporting those as "unable to scan" too even though they're right in its own exception setup.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 02:08:41 PM »
No discs in drives a or d or e.  That is what is so confusing.

Did you ask to avast! scan the removable drivers? If so, must have a disk on them: at least a floppy on A:. If not, it's strange. What is the drive Z: in your system?

The list of "scanned" files is quite large, but apparently frutless. Any thoughts????

Please, set the Report options (Settings > Report > uncheck 'ok' files and all other files you do not want at the report) and your file will be smaller and cleaner.

Wellcome to forums. You will 'learn' the protocol of the one of the best and fastest forums at the web  ;D
The best things in life are free.

T8TR

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 02:19:18 PM »
No discs in drives a or d or e.  That is what is so confusing.

Did you ask to avast! scan the removable drivers? If so, must have a disk on them: at least a floppy on A:. If not, it's strange. What is the drive Z: in your system?

The list of "scanned" files is quite large, but apparently frutless. Any thoughts????

Please, set the Report options (Settings > Report > uncheck 'ok' files and all other files you do not want at the report) and your file will be smaller and cleaner.

Wellcome to forums. You will 'learn' the protocol of the one of the best and fastest forums at the web  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 02:41:06 PM »
T8TR, what happens with your last post? Seems that you only 'copy' mine...

T8TR

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 03:28:25 PM »
This is current face of what I see.  I'm getting frustrated and am thinking of going with Norton or McAffee.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 03:36:08 PM »
Frustrated?! On what!? We only just began...
Can you post your actual trouble... Is the one from report file and Z drive already solved?

Did you change the report page settings?

T8TR

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 04:25:50 PM »
 ??? Ok.  I am having difficulty communicating.  I apologize.  What I believe is "not" happening is "nothing" is being scanned.  everytime I run the scan, I get the results you see in the attatchment.  If I click one 1 particular file, other than an "a" file, it says a problem has occurred. I did as you suggested and went to uncheck the file box, but it wasn't checked.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 04:42:06 PM »
I must say I don't understand the exact problem either.
But the original (first) post sounds like avast! can't scan drives A: and Z: - which is correct if there's no media in these drives (and if these drives are checked to scan - i.e. scanning floppy is turned on etc.).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 12:55:43 AM »
As you do for that two files, could you please post here your 'report' file (*.txt), usually at C:\Program files\...\Avast4\Data\Report.

At the report files we can see what is and what is not being scanned. Be patient, I think avast is working in your system and you may just set some options and configurations to be happy  ;D