Author Topic: Trouble with Registering Avast with multi users on XP Home  (Read 3662 times)

JeffW

Trouble with Registering Avast with multi users on XP Home
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:25:51 AM »
Wondering if anyone has had a problem with registering Avast 4.0 home when using WinXP Home with multiple users.  I installed it fine and activated it okay under one user name.  When signed in as another user avast prompted for the registration code again.  Problem is, it didn't accept the valid code I used while signed in as the other user.  Now the second user doesn't seem to have virus protection.  I'm a relatively new to both XP and very new to avast.  Does anyone have any ideas.  Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Trouble with Registering Avast with multi users on XP Home
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:50:24 AM »
The registration code has to be entered when logged on under administrator account. Did you do that?

JeffW

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »
Igor,

Yes I did register while logged in under the main admin account.  I'll try again and see what happens.

JeffW

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:50:41 PM »
Igor,
I logged off all accounts except admin/main and reentered the reg code.  I logged back on to the other accounts and avast notified that the reg code was not entered.  Since this account did not have admin privileges, I could not make changes to the program.  Do I need to reinstall? 
JeffW

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 10:45:58 AM »
OK, did you install the program under the administrator account?
Did you have any changes to registry access rights that might prevent the other user from reading certain registry keys/values?

robert69

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:38:12 AM »
I am having the exact same problem, i have tried to uninstall and re install from both users, both users are set up as system administrators, but the program still says that i dont have sufficient privileges.

i firstly installed pro edition, but then installed home edition.

am using windows xp on a 2.4 GHZ laptop

robert69

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
Has anyone looked at this problem, or should i go buy mcafee?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »
I have tried to uninstall and re install from both users, both users are set up as system administrators, but the program still says that i dont have sufficient privileges.
Two accounts with admin privileges is, regardless what you can experience, a trouble for Windows XP... sooner or later.

Maybe you need to login as the Administrator: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm
The best things in life are free.