Author Topic: Outlook 2003 send & recieve errors  (Read 3073 times)

StarSeanyBoy

Outlook 2003 send & recieve errors
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:50:41 AM »
I run Windows xp Home SP2 and the up to date Avast Home edition package 4.7.844. Office Professional which is also up to date.

For 9 months i have had no problem but just recently when opening Outlook 2003 the send and receive will not work.  If I disable Avast completely it works OK. (I have just disabled the Avast plug in from Outlook but this seems not to have totally cured the problem - I have yet to re-boot)

I don't have windows desktop search installed, i deleted it some weeks ago.  I want to run the avast  package as my e-mail scanner along with AVG - this has worked fine with avast too ever since installing. Can you offer any solutions please.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outlook 2003 send & recieve errors
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:28:50 PM »
AVG 7 and avast don't work well together and certain elements of avast might have been disable to avoid conflict. Having two resident on-access AVs on the same system isn't recommended there is too much potential for conflict, that fact you have got away with it for some time isn't a guarantee that it will always work.

Resident scanners have legacy keys for drivers, etc. that can conflict AVG 7 has an add-in for outlook I believe and that and the avast plug-in could be conflicting.

I'm not an AVG or outlook user so I can't be of much help as I have no practical experience of them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

StarSeanyBoy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »
Thank you for looking at my problem :) I appreciate it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »
StarSeanyBoy, since AVG version 7, the email plugin of it is not compatible anymore with avast mail scanner.
Besides this, Windows can load in a different order the services and legacy drivers. Consequence: trouble and conflic.
I've used AVG as a non-resident scanner in the past... Security Center, one day, detected it and ignored avast, the real resident antivirus...
Since then, no more AVG  :P

Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:56:54 PM »
Quote from: StarSeanyBoy
Thank you for looking at my problem :) I appreciate it

No problem, welcome to the forums.

Well there you have it from Tech who has done a lot of testing to try and get them both to work together, even as a back-up scanner and even that didn't work.

I think you have to decide which is your Resident scanner and uninstall AVG ;D, you could then use another on-demand scanner, like BitDefender, etc. for a back-up scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

StarSeanyBoy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »
Just looked in again would like to thank both DavidR & Tech for their help.  :)